Thursday, August 18, 2011

So Many Changes!

I'm sure you have noticed that I haven't been around much the past few weeks. There have been a lot of exciting things going on in my life.

I started a new job. I am now the Marketing Manager of a mall! My first day of work was yesterday and I am very excited be back in the Marketing field. I have been a stay-at-home Mom for the past 4 years and loved every second of it but it is now time for me to join the workforce again.

The way that God has worked throughout this entire situation has amazed me. I can't share all of the details but my family and I have had so many miracles happen in the past week that it is still hard for me to believe. God is so good!

Although I haven't blogged much I haven't given up on my weight loss. I weighed in at 192 this morning when I stepped on the scale. I am so excited to see my weight continuing to go down. I am hoping to be in the 180's by next week! :)

I had to buy new work clothes this past weekend since I haven't worked out of the home in about 4 years. I definitely did not enjoy shopping for my new work wardrobe and it wasn't just because of the screaming 3 year old the whole time I shopped.

It is so hard to gain weight and then have to go shopping for clothes. I still remember what I looked like 25 pounds lighter and how great I felt. I guess my shopping trip will just be my incentive to work harder to lose the weight.

I ended up buying mostly size 14 pants but I did have to get some 16's. I think the dress I bought was a size 16. It's so sad because last summer I was wearing mostly 12's and some 10's. Oh how I wish I wouldn't have gained so much weight.

Now that I am back to work I have another set of issues to deal with. I now have to worry about what to take for breakfast and lunch everyday and what to cook quickly for dinner each night. I am not enjoying having to pack a lunch every night for the next day. Although it's a little time consuming when I am exhausted at night it does seem to work well. I have been enjoying my healthy lunch each day and they have been extremely filling.

Dinners are definitely difficult when you are tired and have a hungry husband and two hungry little girls. Although it would be very easy to go out to dinner each night I am trying to save money by cooking at home. I planned out my menu (by going through my freezer, fridge and pantry) for the next 2 weeks. I typed it into my calender on my iPhone and now I am set. If only the meals cooked themselves. :)

I do have an alert pop up on my phone each night to remind me what I need to take out of the freezer the night before. So far it has worked well but becomes very tiring when you add soccer two days a week into the mix. By the time we are done eating the last think I want to do is clean up the leftovers, wash the dishes and run the dishwasher.

Then it's on to preparing the food and clothes for the next day. I think it is just going to take some time to get into a routine and get used to things. I know that many of you also work outside the home. If you have any suggestions on how to make it run more smoothly I would love to hear them. :)






7 comments:

fblife said...

I LOVE the idea of having a reminder for what to take out of the freezer! I have found myself at work more then once texting the babysitter to take something out! :)

I LOVE my crock pot. I have found making a whole chicken in the crock pot creates a few meals for the week. One of chicken, the other of shredded chicken sandwiches, tacos, salad toppers, chicken salad, you get the idea! I also will cook up a 3lb of chicken breasts, shredded it all up and freeze in 1 c portions. It can then be used to throw in pasta, enchiladas, and so on.

I know the last thing you want to do on the weekend is cook, but perhaps cooking 2 meals on the weekend (cooking a dinner for the week while preping dinner for Sat night) would be helpful? That way maybe the whole family can get in on the cooking/cleaning action.

Twix said...

Way to go!!! How AWESOME!!! :D

I'm into chicken salad sandwiches right now. I kind of like to get stuck with something for awhile and then change to something new.

I don't work out of the house and couldn't imagine the added bouns of something new to juggle. Does anyone help you out at home do the house chores? FlyLady might have some handy suggestions to help speed some things up. Supper - crockpot? Or what about certain days have the same theme all the time. Like in our house Sunday is fried chicken day (hubby's idea). Friday is pizza night. Tuesday and Thursday are left overs or sandwiches. That leaves Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday to switch up. :) Not sure if that helps.

Very happy for you! Congrats!!

Diandra said...

Congratulations on the new job! I hope you will love it!

As for housework... my father and I, when he was working and I was finishing school, had an arrangement - one of us would cook, the other one would clean the kitchen afterwards. Worked like a charm. I wish the BF would accept this schedule... right now it is more like, he vaccums once a week, irons once a week and takes the trash out if I remind him, while I do the cooking/cleaning/laundry/feed the cats part. *sigh* He's definitely been spoiled by his mother, and I am not sure how to train him... and not right now anyway, he has got a cold. Poor guy.

Beth said...

Do you do any freezer cooking? I only work part-time, late afternoon and evening, and having stuff in the freezer saves my butt. The crock pot is also a huge help. Sometimes I make a week's worth of salads for lunch and in the winter I keep portion sizes of soup in the freezer. Really helps me eat well.

Laura Jane @ Recovering Chocoholic said...

Congrats on the new job! How exciting. I definitely know how not-fun it is to shop for clothes after you've gained some weight. But it will be exciting to lose weight and get to do some more shopping. I do work full time, and it is a challenge to stay on top of healthy eating and exercise. I totally agree that packing your lunch the day before is the way to go. Also prep as much for breakfast as possible. Having a dinner plan is great. I also cut myself some slack and have found some healthy things that do not take a ton of prep time (but cost a little extra money). It's worth it for me.

Jen said...

First of all, congratulations! I have two suggestions about your meals:
1) Learn to love your crock-pot. If you can find the time to put the stuff in the slow cooker in the morning, then your dinner really will cook itself. I have even seen suggestions for putting all of your slow cooker items in a freezer bag and storing it in advance. Then you just dump the bag into the cooker and go.

2) Find recipes you can make individual, freezable portions and take those for your at work meals. If you have access to a microwave, you can heat them up. If you don't, find recipes that will thaw in time for lunch.

I've done variations on these ideas at my work places. The individual frozen meals let me stockpile on the weekends. The crock-pot makes me feel like someone else cooked my dinner. I hope that helps!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jessica - congratulions on the new job! I hope you love it!!!

Here is a recipe that I use when I need to be in the office all day (it can be done with frozen chicken breasts or a 3# frozen turkey breast):

Place frozen chicken breasts or frozen turkey breast into crockpot. Pour 1 can of chicken broth over it. Pour 1 can of water (water from the chicken broth can) over it. If you think about it, put poultry seasoning on the top (I very often forget and never notice). Set the time to low for about 8-12 hours and enjoy it when you get home.

This is easily coupled with a quick salad or veggies and a starch. When I do this, it is often mashed potatoes made a few days in advance.

Best Regards,
Jen

Blog Widget by LinkWithin