Friday, April 15, 2011

Truvia???

This was my lunch today. Doesn't it look delish?! It tasted even better then it looks. It was just a good combination which surprised me. Tuna salad (light mayo)on a sandwich thin (store brand - 2 points), 23 almonds (4 points) and a lot of red grapes ($.99 a pound on sale at Giant). I am stuffed!



Yesterday at the grocery store I purchased some Truvia. I got confused and thought I was looking for Truvia by I was really looking for Stevia. So now I have two little boxes of Truvia that I am not exactly sure about. I used it in my coffee and in my smoothie this morning. It was great. It definitely tasted more like sugar then Splenda. It was a change for me but not a bad change.

What concerns me is that it seems to be a product made from Stevia. I think it may even be a similar process to Splenda being made from sugar. I need to research it a little more to find out for sure how I feel about it. I guess I just feel safer if it is the real thing.


I was able to purchase Agave Nectar. It is actually Blue Agave Nectar. A friend of mine knows a woman who sells it. It is $4.50 for a 23oz bottle. I am purchasing two bottle to try. I will get it sometime next week. I am very interested in trying it and also seeing how many points I will use of it in a day. Then I can decide if it is worth using my points on.


Please let me know if you have any thoughts on the Truvia/Stevia products.






7 comments:

laurajane said...

Personally, I mostly use regular sugar and don't use artificial sweeteners. (I do consume some artificial sweeteners in other things like yogurt). I've heard good things about Stevia and that it really only takes a very small amount. As far as agave nectar, I've read several things that suggest it's worse for you (and your blood sugar) than regular table sugar. I personally don't have a strong opinion on that, but you might want to look into it.

safire said...

I like agave nectar. I'm not sure about the other sweeteners though. I just use the real thing but use less of it. Your lunch looks yummy! I use sandwich thins for my breakfast!

:Deliciously Healthy said...

The commercial for Truvia says it's "Honestly sweet" and all natural...

heather said...

we use stevia...aka truvia(actually i thinks its purevia) but i don't use enough of it to really care! we tend to use real maple syrup or raw honey, yes more calories but better for you! we are more focused on "real" food than the calories and im still loosing weight!

FranBH said...

I use Stevia in the raw and am very pleased...used Truvia, but it seemed bitter to me. I used agave nectar till even Dr. Oz said it's just like High Fructose Corn syrup and Stevia is even recommended by him. I agree with Heather...natural is better.

Roz @ weightingfor50 said...

Hi Jessica, I found your site from Alissa's blogroll. Wanted to say how much I love it, and will be visiting regularly. I've recently given up artificial sweeteners too. Wasn't as hard or as scary as I thought it would be. All the best, have a great Sunday.

Jessica @ Pudget: Losing Weight On A Budget said...

Thanks for all of the feedback. I will let you know more about the Truvia when I have a chance to research it more. There is just something fishy about the wording on the back of the box.

I am going to try the Agave Nectar this week. I did hear that is like corn syrup. I guess if you only need a very small amount it can't be that bad for you? I am definitley intersted in it. I am also going to try the Stevia in the raw. I saw it at the grocery store last week. I will probably pick it up sometime this week.

Thank you for all of you support!

Roz - Thanks for the sweet comments and I am so glad that you will be following me. :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin