Wednesday, April 13, 2011

A Big Decision... I Can't Believe I Am Writing This...

I just listened to one of the most interesting shows. I was over at Brittany's blog, Deliciously Healthy and she wrote a great post about using artificial sweeteners. She also posted two video's that I am going to post below. I am going to be completely honest. When I first started to watch the videos I thought to myself that I love Splenda so much that nothing could change my mind about using it. Watch these two video's and let me know what you think. The first video talks about why artificial sweeteners are not good for your health.

Interesting? It definitely got me thinking but it didn't convince me that I wanted to stop using artificial sweeteners. Now watch this one!

I'm convinced! After listening to this video I have decided to quit using artificial sweeteners. I can't believe I just wrote that. If you know me you know that I love my Splenda. Probably more then most people but after watching these video's I have made up my mind that I am not going to use it anymore. It's not good for me and it's not good for my husband and children.

I didn't realize that we have natural options for low calorie sweeteners.


1. Agave Nectar


2. Stevia


3. Xylitol


I have seen Stevia at the grocery store but never tried it.. I think I may have read about Agave Nectar in the past but I never really considered it. I definitely never heard of Xylitol. I'm not sure which one I am going to try first but I will definitely keep you updated.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- What do you think about these videos? Have you changed your thinking on artificial sweeteners or are you sticking with them? ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------


12 comments:

NGreene said...

It's a big leap - but good for you and your family! :) Xylitol is an interesting sweetener. It's used in gum sometimes and it makes things "feel" cold. Very interesting, indeed. lol Health food stores will probably have it. I bought mine online. Stevia is probably a little more common to find and comes in forms we would most be used to. Good luck with the new direction you're taking and keep us posted!!!

heather said...

i can't use fake sugar anymore as it causes headaches for me. its still in my yogurt but i only eat that once a day if that and it doesn't bother me. i avoid it if at all possible. id also suggest doing your research on agave nectar...i believe it has mixed reviews about how "healthy" it really is. for the most part we still use real sugar and organic/raw if we can.i have tried the stevia and my husband uses it in his coffee. ive tried the vitamin zero waters and those have been fine. but i mostly just drink water!

Sara said...

Wow ~ as a fellow Splenda lover I think I've been converted as well! I have tried agave necter before and really liked it so maybe I will permanently switch to that one oh and there is another called Sugar in the raw that you might want to take a look at as well. I've heard it was a good choice but never tried it.

| PN | said...

Good luck. I normally don't use artificial sweeteners simply because of after taste ... but I've found that a lot of yogurts have aspartame. It's been a pain to find yogurt that is not super high in calories that does not have aspartame.

I can say that agave works for sweet tea, margaritas and sweetening up salad dressings!

Miss S. said...

Yay-such a good choice. I hope you find something natural you like just as well.

Heather Joy said...

I have both Stevia and Agave nectar in my pantry. I've been on an eat clean diet which cuts out most sugar in your diet and processed foods. Agave does have some natural sugar content and it reminds me of a light honey. Stevia has a slight licorice taste but after eliminating most of my sugar it adds a nice touch. maple syrup is another natural sweetener.

Bee said...

I've always avoided artificial sweeteners - I don't like they way the taste and most give me headaches. I have not tried agave nectar - but have read mixed reviews. I have tried stevia - only once and it was in sweet tea (hey, I'm from the south) - and it had a funny taste to me. I couldn't drink the tea. My friend, however, uses stevia a lot and has had no issues. I've never tried xylitol for cooking, but I know it's gums and candies. When I worked at a dentist office, we had a xylitol spray to help increase saliva production (which is great for diabetics and chemo patients who suffer from sores and other mouth issues from dry mouth). Personally, I use sugar. I have white, raw, organic, powdered, dark brown, light brown...and I pick what's need for the recipe. :) Good luck on your new venture of giving up Splenda! I look forward to seeing your posts about trying these sweetners out!

Genelle said...

Good for you! I gave up artificial sweeteners a long time ago and it was one of the best health decisions I ever made. I normally use honey or sugar when I need to sweeten something. Yes, it's not "diet" but I'd prefer the extra calories to the artificial sweeteners any day!

Genelle said...

Oh, and I think I remember that you like yogurt. If your favorite yogurt has artificial sweeteners in it you might want to try plain yogurt and honey. My favorite yogurt is plain greek yogurt with a small amount of honey on top. I get a little bit of honey with a bunch of yogurt for each spoonful and it is delicious! My favorite brand of greek yo is Fage. You can get it in a 0% version instead of the whole fat version too!

:Deliciously Healthy said...

Yay! Weren't those videos incredible? I absolutley love using agave nectar. It's delish in everything I used to put sugar in. I haven't tried the other two sweeteners yet, but I can't wait to get my hands on them :)

Ann-Marie said...

Way to go , that stuff will kill you.

bobsgirl02 said...

I actually avoid Aspartame because it has been shown to cause flare-ups with Lupus patients. Once I gave up foods with Aspartame, my flare-ups were not as bad and not as often. I know a lot of people who have Lupus, MS, Fibro and other similar diseases who did the same thing and also noticed that they generally felt better and had less flare-ups.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin