Friday, October 29, 2010

I Saw A Psychiatrist Yesterday

Yesterday I met with a Psychiatrist. It was my first time so I was a little nervous. I was very pleased that I didn't even have to sit in the waiting room and wait. They were ready for me when I arrived. That never happens so it was a very pleasant surprise. :)

My Psychiatrist was so nice. She asked me what felt like a thousand questions and was very sweet while she listened to all of my answers. It was a very interesting appointment. It was funny that by her asking me all of these questions I pretty much came up with the same conclusion as she did.

She does not think that I need to be treated with medicine. She thinks that a lot of what I am feeling is coming from the fact that I am a perfectionist. I see everything as either perfect or a failure. Honestly I knew that I think like this but I really never thought that there was anything wrong with it. She explained to me that there is an in between and it is okay to be in between. I guess I never really thought of it this way. She thinks I am driving myself crazy by trying to always do everything perfect and when don't do it perfect I feel like a failure and this is where stress and depression come into play.

It all completely makes sense to me now. This isn't my only issue but I think it is where all of my others issues stem from. Another big problem that I have is taking to much on. I try to do it all and I kill myself trying. The Psychiatrist told me that it is okay to ask for help. Honestly, this is something that I am not fond of. It seems like most times I ask for help I am either made to feel guilty or let down. Two things that my mind just can not handle. There is nothing worse then being made to feel guilty or be let down by the people you love. I feel like most of the time it is just easier to do things by myself.

I'm sure I could go on and on with all of my problems but I'm sure you get the idea. I try to do to much, always try to make it perfect and don't like to ask for help. I guess this would drive anyone a little crazy. :)

My Psychiatrist doesn't think that I need to see her. She is pretty much there to prescribe medicine. She thinks it would be a good idea to see a therapist. Someone that can help me work out these little things that are making me feel miserable. She also thinks a therapist can help me with my stress eating (binging). Now that would be awesome!!!

I wanted to let all of you know that I appreciate all of your prayers and concern. You are all such wonderful people and I really appreciate that you are always here for me. Thanks for being the best readers a girl could have. :)


4 comments:

Christina said...

I am a perfectionist to and I use to see everything in either black or white, with no shades of gray. One way this effected my life was with my eating. In my head I had foods split up into good foods and bad foods and if I happened to eat one bite of something that I considered bad then the whole day was blown. This kind of thinking also controlled my home life; no matter how much I cleaned it was never good enough. Nothing I ever did was good enough. I've had to learn a new way of seeing things. I can't do everything perfect no matter how hard I try. I now eat foods that were once on my bad list but I eat them in moderation. I can now live in a home that is less than perfectly clean and not feel like I'm going to go crazy. There are still times that I take on to much and when I do I learn from these times. I now pick and chose what is important to me instead of taking on everything that everyone wants of me. I'm only one person and I can only accomplish so much. I was in therapy for quite awhile and it definitely helps in changing this kinds of thought patterns. I wish you the best of luck and just realizing what the problem is is half the battle.

Jessica @ Pudget: Losing Weight On A Budget said...

Christina,

Thank you so much for commenting. It is nice to know that there are other people who think the same way I do. It makes me see that it is possible to think differently. Now I am really looking forward to therapy.
Thanks!

Jessica

Lanie Painie said...

Good for you. I need to talk to my therapist about a lot of this food stuff next week. I think I'm going to write down some questions for him.

Ann-Marie said...

My husband is just like you. It's either perfect or a complete fail. He never realized how hard this can be on the people who love him. Therapy is helping him tremendously, I see a much happier man. Best wishes

Blog Widget by LinkWithin