Wednesday, September 29, 2010

I'm At It Again!

Midnight snacking that is. Three nights in a row I have gotten out of bed to get a snack. Luckily I don't have any unhealthy food in my house. Last night I ate raw almonds and two granola bars. The sad part is that I am not doing this out of hunger.

For some reason I am not sleeping well. Last night it was because of my daughter crying off and on. Unfortunately insomnia is a vicious cycle. I have always suffered with it but ever since I have been on the Cymbalta and Lyrica for my Fibromyalgia I have been much better. Up until recently I was doing really well. Now I am having trouble sleeping again which means my Fibromyagia is flaring up. I am in more pain and I feel so tired all of the time. I need to start sleeping well again because I just can't lead a normal life this way. My life is way too busy to be held back by my Fibromyalgia.

I know that I am not hungry in the middle of the night and that my snacking is just a really bad habit. I just need to tell myself no when I wake up feeling that need to eat. For the next few days I am going to consciously tell myself no snacking in the middle of the night. We will see how it goes. After a few nights of success my body gets out of that bad habit and I don't have to worry about it anymore. Can you tell I have done this before? :)

Do any of you have the same problem with Midnight Snacking? How do you get through it without eating everything in sight?


7 comments:

Pamela said...

I don't have a problem with midnight snacking but perhaps if you brush your teeth or put cream on your hands and slip on some moisture gloves*, you won't be tempted or able to eat something!

*any cotton gloves will do, or I've even slipped my hands into a couple of socks when I couldn't find my gloves.

Twix said...

My oldest daughter has always been a night snacker since she could toddle her way to the fridge. We learned then to just set something out on the counter and by morning it's gone, usually a banana sometimes crackers. She's 14 and still does this but atleast we don't have to padlock the fridge anymore...hee! :D

Christina said...

I have a problem with this if I wake up in the middle of the night or decide to stay up really late but I've only found one solution you just have to say no. On some nights if its already like 4 in the morning then I will just go ahead and have my breakfast at least then I'm not really eating something I'm not suppose to. It sounds like this is a habit and habits are hard to break but you can do it just look how far you have come. Good luck and just tell that voice thats saying to have a snack no and find something else to occupy your time if you can't get back to sleep.

brinalauren said...

A while ago you mentioned that someone told you that if you deny the urge to snack in the middle of the night, just imagine how great that number on the scale is going to be in the morning! This has actually really been helping me at night, which is when I do most of my binging.
~sabrina

Jessica @ Pudget: Losing Weight On A Budget said...

Thanks for all of the support!

Sabrina - I forgot that I told you that. Thanks for reminding me. :)

Christina - I hope we can overcome this together. It really is a bad habit. Tonight is the night I say no to the midnight snacking. I can't wait to tell you how I do.

Pamela - I love the glove idea. I could use a little hand pampering. :)

Twix - Maybe I should sit out some bananas. I guess it would be better then a granola bar. :)

Josie said...

I'm a night time snacker, after the kids go to bed I love to sit on the couch with my hubby and snack. I tend to eat smaller meals during the day because I know I'll get that urge. It works for me. I would try leaving out fruit as well, I bet not having junk in the house will help too : )

Sarah said...

I told someone if I could turn the day off at 8pm I'd be fine. After that, any eating I do snowballs. Even if its healthy stuff, once you add up all the points.....points are points. The other day I realized I ate 10 points+ in trail mix and nuts alone. Thats a meal and to meal it was just a nibble of a snack.

People say "just say no" which I wish I was able to do. I truly tell myself I shouldn't be eating this as I'm putting it in my mouth. Then I say I'll count the points til I figure out how many points its worth and then decide "I'll start again tomorrow." I definitely have to come up with a better plan whether its don't eat after supper (which isn't working for me) or allow myself more points for the psuedo-binges so I'm more prepared for them.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin