Wednesday, September 15, 2010

I'm Addicted To Ice Cream!!!




Is this really possible? When I started my weight loss journey in Jan. of 2009 I was not a big fan of ice cream. I have always liked it but for the most part ice cream in our house gets eaten out of once and then we throw it away a few months later (when it is freezer burned). Up until a few weeks ago it has always been a "Safe Food" to have in my house. What I mean when I say "Safe Food" is that I won't binge on it when I am stressed or tired. For instance, Cupcakes are not a "Safe Food" in my house but Rice Cakes are a "Safe Food". ;)




A few weeks ago my husband brought home tons of awesome ice cream and all of the sudden I am addicted. Does that really happy? Is it possible to go from not really caring about a food all of your life and then all of the sudden you can't get enough of it? You crave it, can't sleep at night because all you can think about is ice cream. I actually sat on the couch last night with a carton of Oreo cookie ice cream and a spoon. Yep, I really did it! I ate it out of the carton with a spoon. Not only that but I finished off the carton. This is something that I never even thought of doing, ever!




It is the most horrible feeling. I almost feel like I am back at day 1 with my addiction to chocolate or cupcakes. Honestly, I'm not quite sure what to do. It's been so long since I have felt this way about food. Don't get me wrong. I still love food but this is like a sick love for food!




I think the only answer for me is to not have it in the house. I know this has worked for me in the past and I'm sure it will again. I just hate having to crave something so badly. It brings back so many memories from the past year and a half. I guess I just hate to admit that I am going to have to deal with this forever. Some days are easier then others but this ice cream thing has just really thrown me for a loop.




My ice cream binges are just another step in my journey. A journey that never seems to get dull. :) I'm just hoping that this ice cream thing isn't a hereditary problem that kicks in at the age of 30. I'm not joking! My family has a love for ice cream. My Mimi (Grandmother) had a love for it like you would not believe. You probably think I am exaggerating but I'm really not. She could out eat anyone without even knowing that she was doing it. Boy do I miss those days.




My Mimi died at the age of 58 from ovarian cancer. To say she was an amazing Grandmother would not do her justice. She was my best friend and it has been 11 years since she died but sometimes it seems like just yesterday that she was here. This one is for you, MIMI!!! I wish you were here to eat a big bowl of ice cream with. My favorite quote from my Mimi, "Maybe I could eat just one more scoop of vanilla ice cream with a little hot fudge!" , after eating an entire 6 scoop banana split. Please pray it's not hereditary. ;) Love Ya, Mim!


8 comments:

MizFit said...

I went through a phase where my life was fraught with stress and I buried it all in DOVE ICE CREAM BARS.
I swear when I made it through to the other side and stopped their stock PLUMMETED.

Tricia said...

I have a real problem with stress eating and I have a real problem when there is ice cream in the house. On the other hand, I may be the only person in the world who doesn't care for "Skinny Cow" ice cream sandwiches. I've had those in my freezer for two weeks now and I just can't seem to get excited about them.

It sounds like you have hit a rough patch, but you have a ton of success behind you and you'll make it through this, too. I think that it is amazing (and inspiring)that you've reached a comfort level with foods like chocolate and cupcakes. I'm still at a place where sweets are really difficult for me to resist. We are out of cookies and I thought about baking some yesterday, but I knew that if I did, I would binge on the cookie dough and then I would binge on the cookies and I would obsess about them until every last one of them was gone. So I just didn't make them (much to the disappointment of my husband and so.) Is that progress? I hope so! I hope that you have a happy day! Tricia

brinalauren said...

My weakness is donuts: glazed with vanilla cream filling, to be exact. To say I love them would be an understatement. I would drive from grocery store to grocery store at midnight in my pajamas just to find the perfect donut (hence my 200 pound status). So when you figure out this icecream thing, can you let me know? "not keeping it in the house" doesn't do a thing for me. I'll find it!!! Lol.
Maybe Mimi is just reminding you of her for a few days. :) My grandmother was really amazing also - hands down the most Godly, loving woman I have ever known. I'm sorry you lost yours so soon. :( But I know that the good memories can be a comfort - even more than icecream. :)

Anonymous said...

I miss you (soooo much)and love you too, Mimi! She also loved her ice cream sandwiches too!

Heather

Lisa said...

My weakness is ice cream also. Ben & Jerry's and a local brand (Mayfield's) are HUGE temptations for me. My husband and I are finishing off the last of the Mayfield's and have both agreed that we won't buy any more.
On the other hand, at one time I got used to eating Healthy Choice ice cream and other reduced fat ice creams, till regular full fat ice cream tasted gross! Perhaps I can get back there by eating Skinny Cow frozen treats (the bars are delicious, especially the caramel).

Aunt Diana said...

You forgot to mention that you and I shared a banana split that day when we had ice cream with your Mimi and we were so stuffed that we could hardly breathe. I have never known anyone that could eat as much ice cream as she could. My thing is those pints of ice cream. Here in NY, they are called "spooners" for obvious reasons. They are supposely 4 servings (ha ha) but I can easily eat a pint in one sitting. I don't buy them very often...
- Aunt Diana

Sarah said...

When I started dating my husband (ironically at my lowest weight) I NEVER ate dessert. I was a crunch/salty girl. I can safely say he got me hooked on sweets. It started with Starbursts, then Skittles and made its way to huge chocolate chip cookies in a sizzly fajita plate covered in ice cream, hot fudge and caramel sauces. Eventually our drinking days turned into dessert dates where we'd had to Don Pablos and get whatever fried deliciousness they had. Now? I feel the need to eat a sweet after every meal. I don't know how I got here (ok I do, blame the husband) but it frustrates the hell out of me. Funny thing is, I haven't had a bag of chips in my house in months. I guess I traded one craving for another.

I have gum hidden throughout my house. I try to pop a piece in when I think I want something sweet which usually ruins the flavor. But the hardest part is living with someone who is addicted to sweets as well. My husband will bake up 30 cookies because he has a craving. I don't think he gets how 30 cookies sitting on top of the stove cooling sabotages my weight loss efforts....his theory is its cheaper than going to McD's and getting 3 cookies for $1. Sometimes its not about the money, you know? Got a craving sometimes you have to give in but not with 30 cookies.

Congrats on kicking out the ice cream. I gotta say when I tossed out the 3 huge Tupperware container-fuls of xmas cookies the other day it was almost liberating.

Sarah said...

Brinalauren: I've done the SAME thing. Its like we become robots and just drive mindlessly til we get our fix. I saw a therapist for food addiction and she explained its really not much different than a drug addiction. Obviously, chemically its different but its the emotional ties to it that we have to break through to defeat the addiction. Easily said, from the skinny mini therapist. LOL.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin