Monday, September 27, 2010

Fiber???

I started my day off right. I wanted to eat the one last lonely donut that my in-laws left but instead I remembered that I ate three yesterday :( and made myself a smoothie instead. I wasn't kidding when I said I can't keep sweets in the house.

This morning's smoothie was made with 1 cup of Almond Breeze (only 40 calories), 2 tbsp of sugar free chocolate pudding mix, 2 tsp of peanut butter, a little Splenda and 6 ice cubes. It was really good and I am stuffed right now. I hope it holds me over until lunch.

I am trying to think of a way to make my smoothies a little more filling. I was going to add granola to it this morning but didn't want to add that many extra calories. I could always add a 1/2 of a banana (I didn't have any this morning but they are always an inexpensive option). The other thing I was thinking about was some sort of fiber. I think you can buy fiber in a tub and add it to things. I am pretty sure I bought it at a health food store one time. I am going to look into it a little more. It might be a good idea to add a little of this to my smoothies to help me stay full a little longer. Do you have any suggestions?

Last night I went to bed around 9pm (which is really early for me) because I was exhausted from the weekend. I knew that I needed some sleep but unfortunately I woke up this morning feeling just as tired as I did yesterday. I hate nights like this. I was in pain all night and couldn't seem to get comfortable. I felt like a pregnant woman. It wasn't a good feeling. Now I have to go through another day of feeling exhausted. I'm just praying that I don't get a migraine.

Unfortunately when I don't sleep well I don't seem to care about what I eat. I think eating is just a way of keeping my body going when it feels like it can't go any further. I hate days like this. I am going to do my best today to prevent myself from eating bad. Maybe a nap (very, very soon!).

At least I already have lunch planned. Leftover chicken, a small baked sweet potato (with ICBINB, splenda and Cinnamon) and a nice salad with veggies from our garden. I am so excited! I might even skip the potato because the salad sounds so good to me.

What do you like to eat in your salad?


12 comments:

Jessica @ Pudget: Losing Weight On A Budget said...

I love cucumbers and apples in my salads.

Slomack said...

Do you ever buy Fiber One cereal (the original)? You could pulverize it in a blender to a really fine crumb and then add that to your smooth for a little extra oomph!

Jessica @ Pudget: Losing Weight On A Budget said...

Slomack, That's a great idea! I actually have tons of Fiber One at home. Thanks for sharing! :)

Greta said...

Instead of granola, you can just add plain old uncooked oats. Try a half a cup. It actually tastes nice, and it makes the smoothies more filling.

Jessica @ Pudget: Losing Weight On A Budget said...

Thanks, Greta! I heard of the oatmeal thing before but I didn't know how much to put in. I am definitely going to give it a try. Oatmeal is filling on it's own. I bet it will really make my smoothies filling and healthy!

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

I didn't realize Almond Breeze was so low cal. I'll have to try it. Hope you get some sleep.

Jessica @ Pudget: Losing Weight On A Budget said...

Thanks. I am hoping to get a nap in but it's not looking like it is going to happen.

I actually buy the almond breeze that is in the refridgerated section because it is cheaper then the one's that aren't refridgerated. Some of the flavors are more then 40 calories but the one that I buy says 40 calories for 1 cup on the front of the package. I love the taste in my smoothies and I love that it is so low cal.

Bethany said...

I have the perfect thing! Protein shake mix from www.drugstore.com . If you watch them, they go on sale. There is something like 30g of protein and 100 calories per serving. I fix them for breakfast and love them (I add instant coffee to make a coffee smoothie). I also add truvia to sweeten them up. And use milk instead of water. If you added all your yummy stuff plus this, it would only add 100 cals, but tons of protein. They keep me full for hours!


http://www.drugstore.com/search/search_results.asp?N=0&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchallpartial&Ntk=All&srchtree=1&Ntt=carb+solutions&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

Jessica @ Pudget: Losing Weight On A Budget said...

Thanks, Bethany! That sounds awesome. I am going to check it out.
Jess

Lee said...

To make my smoothies more filling, if having one as a meal, I will use a low carb or zero carb protein powder in it. Zero carb makes a really good one that is graham cracker flavor. Goes with almost any flavor fruit or pudding mix you use. One scoop is only 80 cal, 0 fat and 0 fiber so it only adds 1.6 points to the smoothie.

Bardess Blogger said...

I agree with Gretta. When I put oatmeal in my smoothies it usually keeps me full until lunch (of just before lunch.)

Jackee Ann said...

Hi! I add 2 things (depending on what I have around) to make my smoothies more filling. I focus on protein to do a lot of the filling so by adding soft/silken tofu or Greek yogurt, in addition to the fruit in the smoothie I really get full. I also do the oatmeal additive for more fiber. If you put 1/4 cup in your blender, pulverize it, then add the rest of your goodies it blends less chunky. Many moons ago when I started eating tofu, I used this great recipe for smoothies. I shared it with my non-tofu loving friend and soon everyone loved it.
Smoothie:
1 cup frozen strawberries
1 cup ice
1 cup ice water
1/2 cup soy milk or almond milk (or water)
1/4 cup sugar substitute (I use Splenda)
3 1/2 ounces soft or silken tofu
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup ground oatmeal
Make the Smoothie: Combine all the ingredients in a blender and pulse to chop everything up.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin