Saturday, August 14, 2010

Slow And Steady Wins The Race

Great News!!!

My Woman's World Magazine Feature Story is already on the shelves! Make sure you pick up your copy before Aug. 19th. Also, check the magazine to make sure it has the Aug. 23rd date on it. I'm on page 21!


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have really felt compelled to write this post. When I wrote my 50 pounds lost post a few days ago I realized something very important. I realized that it is not always better to lose weight as fast as possible. In my mind, Slow and Steady wins the race!

When I realized that it had taken me over a year and a half to lose 50 pounds I almost felt embarrassed. Then I realized that I have no reason at all to be embarrassed. I have changed my entire life to a healthy lifestyle and stuck with it for over a year and a half. It's actually pretty amazing. Not only have I been losing weight but I have kept it off. Honestly, I think it's a lot harder to keep the weight off then it is to lose it.

For all of you who think you need to lose 50 pounds in the next 6 months you may just want to rethink that. I'm not saying that it's not possible because it just may be. I'm not even saying that it's not healthy because you may be able to do it in a healthy way depending on your current weight. What I am saying is that most likely you will be setting yourself up for failure.

It was not easy for me to lose 50 pounds in the last 19 months. I can't even imagine trying to do it in 6. Of course six months sounds a lot better because seriously who really wants to be overweight any longer then they have to.

What I have learned during my weight loss journey is that it is not just about losing weight. It is about learning to live a healthier lifestyle for the rest of your life. To tell you the truth I still have days where I really struggle with eating healthy. They become a lot less frequent as time passes because I am slowly learning more about being healthy and more about how my body works. So it's not just about becoming healthy and losing weight. It is more about making sure your mind and your body have adjusted to a healthy lifestyle and you have figured out how you are going to do this for the rest of your life without gaining the weight back.

This is where the slow and steady wins the race comes into play. Yes it seems like it has taken me a long time to lose fifty pounds when you look at the numbers but the knowledge that I have taken in about living a healthy lifestyle and what I have learned about the way my body works in the process is priceless.

I did this the right way. I have really changed the way I live. Not just for the weight loss part of my journey but for my entire life. This is not something that you can rush. Sure you can lose it quickly and then try to keep it off but it may just make it harder for you because you may not have had the time to figure out how your body really works in the process.

I am not just telling you this to make myself feel better. I have done this weight loss thing both ways so I can tell you from experience that losing it slower gives you more learning time and more flexibility. It really does make you less likely to give up.

Don't look down on yourself if it has taken you longer to lose weight then you think it should. This just causes heartache and binges. Just remember that it is all about what you are learning on your journey not just about the weight loss. If you just focus on the weight loss and nothing else you are going to drive yourself crazy.

Enjoy the journey. Enjoy every second of it because this is your life and you can't just wish it away. Enjoy learning how your body reacts to eating healthy, binging, craving, weight loss. Enjoy learning how to get past binging and pig outs. Enjoy every milestone and every success. Enjoy watching your body change and your clothes fit better every day. Enjoy learning new recipes. Enjoy talking to others about your weight. Enjoy trying on new clothes. Enjoy learning how to live a healthy lifestyle for the rest of your life. Enjoy the entire learning process. This learning process is the most important part of your journey. Not just how quickly you lose the weight. It's all about the journey! Enjoy it!


3 comments:

Scuttleboose said...

This is a really nice and encouraging post. Thanks :)

Heather said...

I read your story in Woman's World.
What a great idea to put your updates in your blog!

Keep up the good work. :)

Heather

Finding Myself said...

do you have a facebook page where I can keep up or maybe a blog network? I am so encouraged by your story that I would LOVE to follow :) My face book is in Jennifer Strevel Cooper Knoxville tn and my blog is
http://weightogojennifer.blogspot.com/

Blog Widget by LinkWithin