Sunday, August 22, 2010

Saving The Spinach!

Maddie and I had another great Smoothie this morning! The poor kid woke up with a fever, head ache and stomach ache. After some Tylenol and pepto all she wanted was a strawberry smoothie. So this is what I made her.




Maddie's Strawberry Spinach Smoothie


by: Jessica Brown






Ingredients:


1 cup of Almond Breeze or Skim Milk


1/4 cup of Splenda (store brand)


2 tbsp of sugar free vanilla pudding mix (store brand)


1/2 cup of spinach


1/2 cup of frozen strawberries




Blend in Vitamix or blender until spinach and strawberries are completely pureed. Add ice if you need to meet the consistency that you prefer.






------------------------------------------------------------------


Saving The Spinach


----------------------------------------------------










This is what my spinach looked like this morning when I opened my bowl to make Maddie's smoothie. Just starting to wilt and not going to last another day in the fridge. I really hate to waste food. Especially something as expensive as fresh baby spinach. Instead of throwing it away this is what I did.





I made my smoothie like I usually do and then poured it into ice cube trays and placed in the freezer until they are completely frozen. When they are frozen I take them out and put them in labeled freezer bags. When I want that particular smoothie I will put the ice cubes in the Vitamix with a little bit of skim milk and blend until it is the consistency I want. It will save me time and money to do it this way.

Next time you have fruits and veggies that need to be used. Just make a few smoothies and freeze them in ice cube trays for another time. Be creative with your ingredients. It's so much fun!


6 comments:

Cheryl said...

This is a great idea for saving smoothie ingredients. I just threw out some bad spinach this morning. I will do this in the future!

Kelly said...

I love making green monster smoothies. What a great idea to freeze in ice cute trays. Thanks for sharing that.

Susan said...

Hi Jessica,
One day I'll actually try the spinach trick. I am sure it isn't bad but I am kinda scared. :)
Just so you know, I have not received the Tupperware water bottle and other things you last said would be mailed out two weeks ago. I surely hope it hasn't gotten lost in the mail. Oh well, I guess it was all in the thrill of winning the contest. :/ Happy dieting this week!
Susan

My Weight Loss Challenge said...

I love your blog and I have been reading it for a while now. I might start trying smoothies in the future! I love your idea with the ice cube trays I think another good idead would be to also freeze your smoothies and make popsicles out of them! I think that would be nice for a hot day.

Jessica @ Pudget: Losing Weight On A Budget said...

Susan- It's on it's way. I promise! :) It got a little bit of a late start but it should be to your house any day.

Jessica

Superjaxster said...

What a great idea! I'm going to have to get on the ball and try this smoothie and the saving technique!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin