Saturday, August 7, 2010

A Must Try Recipe!




Thursday I went to the farmer's market to purchase some fresh fruits and veggies. I found a little stand with the best prices and started talking to the woman. She told me that she made a wonderful low-fat, budget friendly meal the night before. She said she it turned out great and she had all of the ingredients on hand. I am always looking for budget friendly recipes so I was sure to write this one down.




I was shocked last night when I made the meal and realized that it was one of the best meals I have ever had. I love veggies so this meal was right up my alley. It is so simple and tastes so, so good. I ate one bowl full and I was stuffed.




Really this is a must try. I altered the recipe a bit to give it a little more flavor and cheesiness. If you like squash and zucchini you are going to love this recipe!




Zucchini/Squash Skillet:




1 lb hamburger


1/4 cup chopped onions


1/4 cup chopped peppers


3/4 tsp chili powder


approx. 4 -5 cups of zucchini


approx. 4-5 cups of squash


3 tomatoes - peeled and chopped


1-2 cups of corn


1-2 cups of 2% mozzarella cheese


salt and pepper to taste




Fry hamburger with peppers, onions, salt and pepper until fully cooked. Then add chili powder and stir. Add zucchini, squash, tomato and corn and cook until zucchini and squash are tender. Then add salt and pepper and stir. Add cheese to top and let melt. Enjoy!




5 comments:

:Deliciously Healthy said...

I will! Thanks for sharing!

Heather said...

How much did this make? It seems like it would make a lot! Sounds good!

Jessica @ Pudget: Losing Weight On A Budget said...

Heather, I didn't measure the amount that it make but I would say at least 8 very large serving. It was awesome and gave us tons of leftovers.

Debbie said...

This looks yummy!
It looks like there is some broth at bottom of bowl. Is that just a byproduct of cooking, or did you add some?
Also, just wondered if you had nutritional info or WW PP?
Thanks!
Debbie

Jessica @ Pudget: Losing Weight On A Budget said...

Debbie, It really is a wonderful dish. I'm hungry just looking at the picture. :)

There was no broth added. I think it was just from the veggies cooking down. I don't have any WW PP on this recipe. Sorry.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin