Monday, August 9, 2010

An Apple A Day!

Make sure you visit my friends blog, Balancing Bedlam, today and become a follower. She is an awesome writer who just started her blog. She will be talking about her journey to lose weight, becoming closer to God and becoming organized with everything else in her life. I read her first post and I can so relate to everything she wrote. I want to be exactly what she described. I can't wait to read more!


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I took a few pictures when I was at my parents on Saturday. They turned out so nice I had to share them.





This is a picture of my apple tree. My sister, Kristin, planted it from a seed when we were very young. Maybe 20 years ago. She ended up with two plants that grew and she gave one to me. After we planted them in the yard my Dad ran over hers with a lawn mower but luckily my survived. We still fight over whose tree it is to this day. I say it is mine because she gave it to me and I planted it but she thinks it her because she planted the seed. It really is a beautiful tree and I can see why she wants to take it back. ;) It's a funny family joke! She is probably going to kill me for writing this but I thought we should take a vote on who thinks the tree is mine and who thinks the tree is Kristin's. Just Kidding! :0) I love to pick on my sisters. It's a good thing they love me!





Look at this cute little apple!









I also took some pictures of our Watermelon patch. I can't believe we were actually able to grow watermelons. Kristin and Matt bought the girls a little watermelon green house for Easter this year. We planted them in the little greenhouse and then when it was time we planted them at my parent's house.

I'm not sure if I ever shared this before but I grew up on my Grandparent's farm land. My Grandparent's were farmer's and they gave all of their children some of the farm land to live on. It is beautiful and I hope to some day build a house on the farm.

Back to the watermelons. We planted them in the early summer and have been weeding, watering and watching them grow all summer. We now have 17 little watermelons growing and they really are the most adorable things. I love watching them grow. Of course I can't wait to eat them. You know me and my love for watermelon!


Our Watermelon Patch!

#17 - Our newest addition








#1 - Our first and biggest watermelon






Just looking at them makes me drool. Only a few more weeks and we are going to have some nice Free watermelon. We will definitely do this again next year. They really weren't hard to grow and they aren't much trouble to take care of. Maybe next year we will add some cantaloupes to the mix. Yum!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What did you plant in your garden this year?


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



3 comments:

Kristin said...

hahaa... So funny! I wrote on your facebook that it is really mine. But I felt bad, so I'll be nice and SHARE it with you. haha

Love the watermelons. Glad the girls grew their "Easter" present from us. Lowe's had so many other kinds of kid friendly fruits and veggies. Tell Maddie that Brennen wants a slice of watermelon!

Kristin said...

By the way I planted it the summer of 5th grade. I was 11. So now I'm 28. So it is 17 years old. :)

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

I'd love to grow watermelon. We planted tomatoes, cucumbers, basil, broccoli, lettuce, sugar snap peas, and pumpkins. We are loving all the fresh produce.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin