Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Why Do I Hate Exercise?

I didn't exercise for yet another day. I really had planned to but around 10am I realized that I promised a friend that I would attend her Discovery Toys party. I rushed around and headed over to her house and really enjoyed checking out all of the great educational toys. I got home around 2:30pm and spent the rest of the day, cleaning, doing laundry and getting my daughter ready for her soccer game. Now I am completely exhausted and the last thing I want to do is exercise. It always seems like something. Maybe I am just really good at making excuses to why I couldn't exercise.

I decided that since the lack of motivation to exercise is my biggest problem that I would look back over all of my posts labeled exercise to see if I could find anything helpful. Click here to view the posts. What I have found is that last year at this time I was riding my bike a lot for exercise. I forgot how much I love to ride my bike. If only I could convince my 5 year old to get into the bike trailer after the "spider incident" last summer while we were camping. I might have to use bribery. :) I really would like to ride my bike again.

Another plan that I have is to go to Walmart tomorrow and buy a new exercise video. Something fun! Any Suggestions? The only one that I own is Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. I need something to get me excited about exercising.

I also noticed that last summer I was a lot more active in general. Instead of sitting around the house I was out taking walks or hiking. I really enjoy that type of exercise. I think my problem is that I think I need burn 500 calories every time I exercise and the thought of that overwhelms me so I just don't do it. I need to remind myself that any exercise is better then none. If I don't have time to do a form of structured exercise then I should at least try to get a little walk in.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is your favorite exercise video?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


9 comments:

wahoostampingirl said...

I'm normally a lurker, but I wanted to comment on this post. I used to think I hated exercise and I was the Queen of excuses. For some reason, last May I decided to participate in a challenge on a blog to be active for 30 minutes every day in May. The activity could be as simple as a walk or dancing with my kids. I completed the challenge and kept on going. I've now finished a year of exercising 6 days a week (I added in a rest day after the first month). What I found was that by giving myself an option to do easy exercising, I really started to look forward to it. I built on my success and now I usually exercise over 60 minutes 6 days a week, but the amazing thing is how much I look forward to it.

I love the Leslie Sansone walking DVDs for days when I'm stuck at the house with the kids. My favorites are the ones where you have the option to do anything from 1 to 5 miles on a single DVD.

Lindsay said...

I am new here too, I have personally never done exercise videos. I have heard people talking about the 30 day shred i think that's what its called I don't know much about it though!

Good luck!!!!

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

I love jogging in the nice weather. It is nice to be able to take Davey with me in the jog stroller. His leapster lets me jog longer without complaint.

Popcorn House said...

I agree Leslie Sansone is great. I have the 5 mile one, and my kids will do it with me. You can do 1 mile or 5, is nice and upbeat. I agree with the poster about allowing yourself to just do easy exercise too. I often won't be able to do what I "planned" so I will bag the whole thing, BUT just doing anything is better then nothing.

GOOD LUCK!!! Love your blog.

Lisa said...

I work out to 8 Minute Abs/Arms/Legs. I found it for pretty cheap on amazon a few years ago and although it's extremely corny, I really like working out to it. Each workout is only 8 minutes long which is nice, but if you do all 3 plus the stretch there's your 30 minutes of exercise a day! I'd definitely recommend it.

Good luck and keep blogging! I love reading your posts!

Marc, Sarah, and Luke said...

I've commented a couple of times before, and while I can't offer any answers to your situation, I can say that I do routinely exercise (except for in the winter where I tend to slack off a bit). Anyways, I have found that exercise has to be a complete priority -- sometimes ahead of things like housecleaning, etc. While I will certainly always put God, my marriage, and my child first, I certainly do let other things go. I figure it's much more important than keeping the floors perfectly clean...Sometimes, other things just have to give. I guess it's all just about prioritizing your "To Do" list -- not just making one out. Does that make sense? I feel as if I'm rambling?

McNeill Family said...

I really hate it too! I am much better about it when I go with a friend that would be walking or hiking. Because I LOVE to talk!

Bethany said...

I HATE exercising more than anything in the world! I have been trying to fit in the 30 day shred a few times a week and to be honest it is my favorite dvd out of the several I have tried. I feel like I get a great workout and it is short enough I can fit it in while being a mom.
One of my friends mentioned the Zumba dvd that she has started doing. She does it with her 5 year old daughter. Zumba is a kind of dance and she says it is really fun. Might be a good one to try for you and ME!

J said...

Cosign on Leslie Sansone's walking DVD's (check out her website).

Also, Cardioke is another dance workout you can try.

exercisetv.tv is a great website with tons of workouts you can do right on your computer or you can order the DVD's.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin