Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Midnight Munchies

I thought I finally had made it past the Midnight Munchies but I was definitely wrong. The past week of two I have been ravines in the late evening. Around 9pm I start to get so hungry that nothing can stop me. Last night I came home from my daughters soccer practice and ate about 1 cup of turkey divan, 1 cup of oreo ice cream and then later in the evening I ate 1 serving of sour cream and onion ritz crackers and about a cup of chocolate chips. What is wrong with me???



When I first started eating healthier I had this same problem and I had to work so hard to get past it and now all of the sudden it is back. I wish I could figure out what is causing me to crave junk food at night. I went without these cravings for so long. It just seems so odd that I have them again.



Honestly the worst part of my day is usually between lunch and dinner. I used to want to eat non-stop but I have been doing pretty good with that lately. I'm not sure if I am not eating enough during the day or if I am to tired by the end of the night and I just want to eat to stay awake.



Have any of you ever experienced this before? What have you found to be helpful?



When I had this problem in the past I had so many different suggestions given to me. I tried many of them and they really did help me out until my body adjusted to not needing as much food. If you check out some of my old posts about binging you will find some great comments and suggestions from some of my readers.



I remember one thing that worked great for me in the past was eating a pear and some cheese before bed or cheese and wheat thins. I guess I could try this again but I really don't think my problem is hunger so I hate to stick food in my mouth that late if I'm really not hungry.



I'm thinking about eating more for dinner. I really haven't been eating much for dinner lately because I really haven't been that hungry at that time. Maybe I will force myself to eat more at dinnertime for the next few days and see how it goes. I really want to get this figured out because I can't stand the guilt of binging on chocolate chips at 10 o'clock at night.



If anyone has experienced this before and has any suggestions please let me know. :) I will keep you posted on my bigger dinner theory.


10 comments:

LauraLynne said...

I have the same problem - I'm up for a good 4 hours at least after dinner - and I'm not HUNGRY - but it's more about bored or habit or...i'm not sure.

What works for me MOST NIGHTS is this: I tell myself I won't eat anything for 30 minutes. And some nights I watch the clock and make the same deal a few 1/2 hours in a row. Other nights, after the first 1/2 hour passes, I've forgotten about my munchies.
And some nights I just eat a little something.
There are still nights I fail completely. :(

Heidi said...

I've heard your biggest meal should be at lunch and if you don't eat enough complex carbs then you will get hungry late at night. Sometimes I think the best thing you can do is to not even bring the food in your house because then when you want to binge you don't have it there so you have to eat something healthy or nothing at all.

Anonymous said...

Hi There-

My best advice for nightime eating is to not buy the food that you don't want to eat. That is the only thing that worked for me. If the chocolate chips & dip, etc... isn't there, then you can't eat it. I know it sounds harsh, but it works!:)

Tami@nutmegnotebook said...

More protein and less refined carbs works for me.

Anonymous said...

I had the exact problem. I found that eating high protein and healthy fats prevented me from binging. Try eating an apple and some almonds before the evening window of time when you get hungry.

Jessica @ Pudget: Losing Weight On A Budget said...

I agree with all of you that said not to keep it in your house. That's my rule. Unfortunately when you are desperate the things that you don't consider dangerous may become so. :) I never would just eat chocolate chips but that was the only chocolate in the house so I ate it. Unfortunately I have to keep them because I use them for so many low fat recipes. Maybe I should have my husband hide them until I need them but knowing me I would find something else. ;)

I think I am going to try the more protien thing. If I get hungry I will eat some raw almonds. I do love them. I'm just not sure if it is going to work because I'm not really hungry, just craving food. We'll see.
LauraLynne, I think your idea is the best one for me but I don't think I would have the willpower. I might make it 15 minutes. :)

Thanks for all of the advice guys!

fblife said...

Sometimes late night hunger is a sign of not drinking enough during the day. Try upping your water intake mid afternoon. Just a thought! You are doing so awesome, I love your blog.

Jessica @ Pudget: Losing Weight On A Budget said...

tblife - I think you hit the nail on the head. I am going to try drinking more. Thank you so, so much! I will let you know how it goes.

Anonymous said...

i have the same problem during the day, sitting at my desk for 8 hours and being bored. well, not necessarily 'bored' but i'm not fully engaged in activity. and the downfall for me is, if it's within reach, it's in my mouth!! my house has no junk food and sometimes i find myself eager to go somewhere (the store, my boyfreinds house) just cause i know there is junk there! isn't that sick? i plan my trip to town around picking up a donut or candy. so you are not alone! but then when i'm home (where i LOVE to be) i get so caught up in projects that i actually forget to eat! i try to stick by the rule that i don't eat until my stomach is audibly growling. it's hard, but when you actually are so hungry that you can't stand it, food tastes so much better!

Jenn said...

Are you really hungry at that time, or just looking to eat? Why not go to bed earlier - maybe you're just bored?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin