Thursday, February 4, 2010

Why Is This So Hard???

I am sitting here drenched in sweat and feeling like I am going to get sick. Why is it so hard for me to run?

I just ran three miles and I felt like I wasn't going to be able to do it today. Is this normal? Is it supposed to be this hard? When I used to look at runners I used to be so jealous that they could run so easily. Now when I look at runners I think is it easy for them or are they struggling like me. I have know idea what the answer to that question is because I have never been able to run before this so I'm not sure what it is supposed to feel like or how much I should be able to run without feeling like I am going to die. If anyone has the answers, please, please share them with me.

I'm wondering if I need a good pair of running shoes. I have a pair of inexpensive running shoes that my husband and daughters picked out for me for Christmas. I was pleasantly surprised at how comfy they are. The only problem that I find is that by the time I have ran about 2 - 2 1/2 miles my feet start feeling a little tingly. I'm not sure if this is normal when you run that much or if I just need a better pair of shoes. I have been reading this month's issue of Runner's World and they have a special section of review on running shoes. They range from $80 - $140 or more. It looks like I am going to have to start saving some money. I'm just afraid to put that much money into a pair of shoes if they don't do the job. Any suggestions on good running shoes?


----------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you do when you run to make running more exciting?

----------------------------------------------------------------------


Today's Half Marathon Training Stats:
(not including warm up and cool down)

Ran 1 mile (4.5)
Brisk walk 2/16 mile (3)
Ran 1 mile (4.5)
Brisk walk 2/16 mile (3)
Ran 1/2 mile (4.5)
Brisk walk 2/16 mile (3)
Ran 1/2 mile (4.5)

Totals:

3 Mile run (4.5)
1/2 Mile brisk walk (3)


50 Minutes

538 Calories


10 comments:

Marc, Sarah, and Luke said...

On running shoes (I used to run quite a bit, and my husband is a very avid runner) -- I don't live where you do. Do you have a specialty running store nearby? If so, take your current shoes in. A good sales person (who knows what he or she is doing) should be able to look at the bottom of your shoes to see how your feet hit the ground and thus, wear the shoes. He or she should be able to recommend an approriate kind of running shoes. And yes, I DO HIGHLY recommend spending the money on a good pair of running shoes. Your feet and legs will thank you for it. I do know that my feet turn outwards. I used to use a Nike shoe -- and I can't remember the name of it. After pregancy, however, my feet changed. I now use a Saucony. I hope that helps. Also, do you drink pop -- even Diet pop? Sometimes, the carbonation, in my opinion, can cause extra bubble build-up and somehow cause breathing to be a bit more labored (this is totally in my experience). So, if you do drink pop (even Diet), try cutting back on that.

Anonymous said...

I work for a foot Dr. and he always advises on a good pair of shoes like New Balance. The higher the number on the shoe the better. I developed plantar facitiis after my first baby and if I don't have good shoes, wear shoes in the house and have orhtoics, my feet kill me when I get up to walk. I have Saucony too and love them. Your body will hurt all over if you do not have good support.
Jen

andria said...

Good shoes are crucial.

Also, running is hard. It looks easy, but really rarely is. I've been running for five years, and have completed three 1/2 marathons, but took almost a year to train for my first one and still made myself really really sick because I wasn't fully prepared.

I hate to sound like a bitch, but I get a bit annoyed with people who think it will be easy, so I'm glad you're struggling a bit. That doesn't mean that you can't do it though. I find the first three miles to be the most challenging, after that, strangely, it gets easier. You're warmed up, settled into a rhythm, and then it's just natural. Press on, press on, and spend the money for shoes, they make all the difference.

laurajane said...

I don't have the answers to your questions because I tend to have a similar experience. But I can't tell you how glad I am to see that someone else has the same experience, and I can't wait to read all the answers.

Anonymous said...

Good shoes are crucial! And, it's hard to make yourself buy expensive running shoes when there are so many cheap ones out there, but it's worth it. I had really bad knee problems that went away when I invested in good shoes! There are specialized running stores where you can run on the store's treadmills, and they can analyze your technique to recommend good shoes for you. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I have arthritis in one foot and have a few different pairs of sneakers and I can totally tell the difference in wearing each one. My feet get tingly when i do the eliptical and I thought it was just becuase they are not really moving. Running hasn't come 'easy' to me either. The thing that makes me stop every time is cramping in my sides. but I have found that upbeat music on my ipod makes me 'jog to the rhythm'...although the people at the gym probably wonder why my head is bopping all over too....
~Tiffany

Jessica @ Pudget: Losing Weight On A Budget said...

You guys are great! Thank you so much for all of the advice. It looks like I'm going to have to start saving for a new pair of running shoes. :)

quarterlifefinances said...

One tip for the tingling feet....don't tie your shoelaces too tight! I tend to want to really strap my feet in there, but that just resulted in pain. Try tying them looser than you normally would next time and see if it helps! Thats just from my personal experience. It may be something else, but it's a simple solution if that's the problem. Good luck!

Michel said...

Definitely get fitted for a good pair of shoes at a respected and knowledgeable running store. I found going a half size up and getting insoles in my shoes have reduced any pain I've had. I currently wear Asics Gel Kayano 15. If you can find a pair you like you might be able to search for last years model on clearance out on the great www.
I found street running much harder than treadmill running. I do a 5minR/1minW so maybe break up the running with some walking? That might help you. Good luck!
You can find me at www.babyweightmyfatass.blogspot.com

Jessica @ Pudget: Losing Weight On A Budget said...

quarterlifefinances, I tried to losen my laces and still find my feet tingling. It was definately a good thought. Thanks for the advice.

Michel,
Thanks for the shoe advice. I am going to have to get myself fitted. Maybe I will try breaking it up a little with some walking. Maybe then I can go a longer distance.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin