Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Running Injury

It's been confirmed. I indeed did injure myself running. Crazy. I went to the chiropractor yesterday and had my hips, legs and lower back adjusted along with my neck and shoulders and upper back. The neck, shoulders and upper back was not related to my running injury. The chiropractor said that I should have been able to lift my legs one and a half times higher then I could. No wonder I was in so much pain the past few weeks.

I felt so much better as soon as he adjusted me. I am still in pain and more so today then after the adjustment but definitely better then before the adjustment. I am not allowed to run or exercise until I see the chiropractor tomorrow. Then he will see how I am doing and let me know if I can go back to running. He told me that I need to stretch more before and after I am done running.

Have any of you ever had a running injury before? How did you deal with it?

I guess I need to figure out how to deal with it and prevent it from happening again. I need to find instructions for some good running stretches. If anyone has any advice on stretching please let me know. I am pretty clueless when it comes to running.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back On Track:

I am back on track with my eating. I did very well yesterday. I had two 1 point English muffins for lunch with three slices of turkey bacon on them. They were very filling. For a snack I had three of the new 1 point Weight Watchers Peanut Butter Cookies. All at separate times through out the day. They are a little too good! :) Actually they are chewy, have a great peanut butter taste and are surprisingly filling. I really feel satisfied after eating just one.

For dinner I made crockpot chicken and stuffing. I love this recipe. I actually changed it up a little by eliminating the cream of mushroom soup and adding some water, fat free sour cream and a little Weight Watchers mexican shredded cheese. It turned out great. Then my after dinner snack was a 1/2 cup low fat ice cream.

Today's breakfast was one 1 point English muffin with three pieces of Turkey bacon and of course a huge cup of coffee to wake me up. I am actually feeling pretty good today. I think my adjustment is helping my energy level. Hopefully tomorrow afternoon I will be able to exercise again and have energy to do so. :)

I hope you all have a great day and for all of you doing the Pudget 30 Day Challenge. Only 6 more days of the Shred left after today. :=). You can do it!!!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stinks that you did injure yourself running, but just think positively and hopefully you'll be feeling better in no time! Your injury could have been much worse! Stretching is so important, more so after I am told. I know when i walk or run at the gym, I'm so anxious to get home that I leave right away and all the way home I can feel my leg mucles twiching and that can't be good!!!
~Tiffany

andria said...

Honestly, I rarely stretch, but always feel guilty for not. This website: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/126.shtml has the most important ones with little pictures to help you out. When I do stretch, I mostly focus on keeping the calves loose because that's where most of my discomfort comes from.
A lot of running injuries stem more from poor form than from lack of stretching. Try to keep your back as straight as you can, shoulders back, and run in a straight line (don't bob and weave, which a lot of people do without realizing). Keeping your back straight will also improve your breathing, and make running easier. Books like Running for Dummies, or basically any book that discusses proper form should give you a better idea how to run more efficiently and with less risk of injury.

Good Luck!

Fanchy said...

I hate to hear that you're injured!! I've injured myself running as well. I had to wear a boot for 6 weeks with a stress fracture and plantar fasciitis! I tried to progress quicker than my body was ready for. I've also been told from other experienced runners that if you've taken any time off of your routine, you need to ease back into the routine so as not to injure yourself. I didn't listen - was off for a week and went right into a 4 mile run.

I'm feeling your pain - I fell yesterday and jacked up my right quad - so I'm laying off the shred at least until it doesn't hurt when I walk. BUMMER!! It sucks getting old doesn't it?

Keep up good spirits - you'll be off and running in no time.

Jen

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

Sorry about your injury. Hope you heal quickly.

LauraLynne said...

I currently have a running injury: my achillies tendons is buggered up. So not just running, but walking, is painful. I've been through PT and, like so many other things, I don't make time for it. So I suffer in (mostly) silence. I want to run again. On the otherhand, an injury makes for a GREAT excuse not to run. I'm in a bad cycle with this. Working on it though.
good luck!! You'll be running long before I will be!!

LauraLynne

Blog Widget by LinkWithin