Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Now That Was Sad.

I'm referring to my exercise today. I'm sure you have noticed that I haven't posted in a few days about my 1/2 marathon training. That is because my whole family has been sick. We have all had a mild case of the flu. We had stomach issues, fevers and all over body aches and chills. The worst part for me was being exhausted.

I finally started to feel a little better today. I am not 100% but at least I had a little energy. I tried to get myself back on the treadmill for a 3 mile run but unfortunately it didn't happen. I decided to push myself and run faster then I have been. I made it through the first mile but almost didn't make it through the second mile and didn't even start a third mile. The cramps in my side were so bad I felt like I was going to fall over. I think it was because I am not yet feeling 100% and I tried running faster then my body is ready for.

Does anyone else get those cramps in your side when you run? How do you deal with them?


Half Marathon Training Update:

Treadmill:
Time: 26 minutes (not including warm up or cool down) (this includes 3 minutes of walking during the second mile)
Distance: 2.3 Miles
Calories Burned: 422 - I think - I can't find the paper that I wrote it on.


7 comments:

spunkysuzi said...

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Anonymous said...

I always get those cramps in my side! Even when im just walking.. Talk about out of shape! lol.. I actually looked it up one day and found this..

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5655904_do-pain-side-i_m-jogging_.html

Hope it helps! =]

Jessica @ Pudget: Losing Weight On A Budget said...

Thanks so much guys.

I looked up the link and it was very helpful. I hope it works!

Becca said...

I definitely cramp up when I'm running - make sure you drink a good 16 oz of water before you run, and sometimes a small snack of something with some sodium (like pretzels) helps because your body loses a lot of water and sodium when you run. Feel better and keep up the great work!

Susan said...

I just recently began getting those side cramps. I've heard two things. It could be from dehydration or from lack of oxygen. So I just try to have some water nearby and make sure I take in deep breaths.
I have off days as well. On Monday I could hardly walk 30 minutes. Then on Tuesday I jogged four miles! Then "Aunt Flo" came so I haven't exercised since Tuesday afternoon. I hope to get going again, maybe on Saturday. So, I don't know what determines when we can do good or not so good..but it happens! I asked my 15yo what I was doing, was it a run or not. She said that, no I was officially jogging. I knew it wasn't walking but it didn't feel like a run either. I was going 3.7 mph. I jogged and jogged and jogged and wouldn't have stopped but my head got flaming hot and I didn't want to pass out or something. :D So just try again and I'll be you'll have a good day.

Susan

Mandie said...

Sorry about the house being sick. Ugh! Hope everyone is on the road to recovery.

AND..when I first started running I had this VERY same thing happen. And it wasn't from eating and drinking...it was from the exhaling!! I tested it, and when I exhale on the left food, I'm good - to - go! Try it out and see if it works!!!

Angela said...

My 12 year old son runs cross country (I was running with him, but had to stop during my pregnancy; going to get back into it soon!). His cross country coach is a physical trainer and an avid runner. The cramps are normal when you are getting yourself conditioned. Of course, carbonated beverages can cause this if you've had any within the last few hours. Dehydration is another issue; drink some water before hand, but not too much or this can cause nausea. Other than that, you just have to get conditioned (or re-conditioned.) You need to keep moving if at all possible when you're cramping--you can slow down a bit, but try to keep on running. Putting your arms above your head helps TREMENDOUSLY! Walk or jog it out. My son's coach always tells the kids, "Pain is just weakness leaving the body!" I love that quote...just not when I'm the one in pain! :)

Keep it up, Jessica; you're doing awesome! :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin