Friday, January 29, 2010

The Complete Beck Diet For Life




Over the past few months I have been reading about several fellow weight loss bloggers that have been reading The Complete Beck diet for life. The book sounded so interesting that I decided to get myself a copy. I just started reading it and I thought it would be really great if all of you would read it along with me. I think it would be so helpful for all of us to not only read it but read it together and discuss it each week. I will be changing my comment section so that you can have a discussion with each other without me having to approve it each time. I think this will make it a lot more fun. We can have our own little book club. :)

Here is some info I found on The Beck Diet Solution Website:


The reason I wrote these diet books is to teach dieters how to diet, how to keep going when dieting becomes difficult, how to maintain their weight loss, and how to create a flexible and healthy eating plan. Dieters need to stop putting some foods off limits, but instead, learn how to eat their favorite foods (even candy, fries, or chips) every day.
I developed the program in the books as I helped yoyo dieters (including myself) in the past 25 years lose weight and keep it off.
If you’re like me and have dieted in the past, it’s so important for you to overcome your discouragement and to recognize that this time will be different.
This time you will learn Cognitive Therapy skills to help you when you’re feeling disappointed, discouraged, deprived, and unmotivated. If you have never learned Cognitive Therapy skills to address these problems, no wonder you haven’t been successful in the past. But here’s your chance to learn how to be a successful dieter - for life.
Helping my patients lose weight has been incredibly gratifying. Losing weight has made them gain confidence in many aspects of their lives — in forming new relationships and reviving existing ones, in pursuing new social and recreational activities, and in making strides in their professional lives. Equally important, losing weight has helped them improve their health, feel better physically, and improve their quality of life. The same can be true for you, too.
— Judith S. Beck, Ph.D





I have realized through out my weight loss journey that so much of weight loss is about the way we think. It should be as easy as eat less and exercise more but unfortunately it's not. We have to think differently about ourselves and everything we do in order to change our habits. That is why I am so excited about this book. I feel like it is really going to help me change my thinking in many areas where I really struggle. Here are some things that this book is going to help teach us as we read it. I am so excited to learn all of these skills!

* motivate yourself every day?
* build your confidence by giving yourself credit?
* create time and energy for dieting?
* get yourself to follow your plan even when you don’t feel like it?
* make a craving go away?
* refrain from emotional eating?
* get right back on track when you make a mistake?
* handle special occasions and people who push you to eat?




If you are interested in purchasing the book you can find it at amazon.com . They are selling used copies for as low as $9.00 plus shipping or you may even be able to find a copy at your local book store or library. I was able to find a company a few weeks ago that was selling their overstock and when I bought a bunch of them I got them at a great price. I was able to then sell them to many of my friends that will be joining in on the discussion on my blog and I also have three left to sell. If anyone is interested please send me an email. These are brand new, hard cover books and they are $10.00 including shipping. If you send me an email today I will send you a paypal invoice and I can get it out in the mail tomorrow.


I really hope you will all join me on changing the way we look at our eating habits. I think this is going to be a wonderful opportunity to work through all of the experiments in this book together. It will be so helpful to have the support of others through this journey.

Check back next week for our first reading assignment!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please leave me a comment and let me know what you think about the book and if you would like to join me in reading it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------


2 comments:

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

I'd would be interested in reading this. I'm going to check to see if the library has it.

spunkysuzi said...

I have the book and i'm just starting to read it!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin