Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Low-Fat Pretzel Chicken Cordon Bleu













A few nights ago I was hungry for chicken Cordon Bleu but I knew that I didn't have the ingredients I needed to make it. So I decided to come up with a healthy version of chicken cordon blue with the food I had in the house. It seems like these crazy creative meals always turn out the best. I love to be creative in the kitchen. I have had it backfire a few times (like nutmeg in Chili - granted I was only 14 or 15 and my Dad pretended to like it so my mom wouldn't get mad at me for ruining it. :) ) but most of the time the food turns tasting way better then I expected.










This recipe is one of my good creative moments. The chicken was amazing. My husband loved it an so did I. The best part was eating it without feeling guilty. It tasted so fattening but it really wasn't. I also served it with my $ .25 a pound sweet potatoes. I bought almost twenty pounds of them at this price. My family loves sweet potatoes. I put the sweet potatoes in one of my Baked Potato Bags and put them in the microwave. They turned out awesome. I cut them open and put some Splenda (store brand), Cinnamon and I Can't Believe it's Not Butter spray on them. This is our favorite way to eat them. They taste like candy. I could eat them at every meal. I also served them with a nice salad with 2% cheese and fat free sweet and sour dressing. It was a great meal!












Low-Fat Pretzel Chicken Cordon Bleu:






Ingredients:
2 sandwich bags filled with pretzels and then crushed - I used a rolling pin
4 chicken breasts pound out
8 slices of Oscar Myer Turkey Bologna
1 cup of 2% mozzarella cheese
1 egg beaten
salt and pepper

Pound out chicken breasts. Crush Pretzels and put in bowl and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Lay out chicken breasts and fill with two slices of Bologna and 1/4 cup of cheese. Roll up chicken and put toothpicks in to hold it together. Roll chicken in egg and then in pretzels. Spray baking pan and place chicken in. Poor a little water (or chicken broth) in the bottom of the pan (I used water because I didn't have any broth). Cover with foil and bake for about 15 -20 minutes covered and then bake a little longer uncovered until the chicken is fully cooked and crispy.


No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin