I found this recipe today over at $5 Dinners.com. It sounds simple, low fat and of course inexpensive coming in at $4.14 for the entire meal. How cool is that? I hope to try this recipe in the next week or two. Check out Erin's site $5 Dinners.com for tons of great recipes.
Sweet and Sour Chicken
By Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom on October 15, 2009
1.38 lb chicken breast, diced ($2.06) On sale this week at Dots for $1.49/lb!
2 Tbsp vegetable or canola oil ($.10)
1/2 cup diced green bell pepper (free from the garden…this was the last of my peppers from the garden!)
1 clove garlic, minced ($.05)
1 tablespoon corn starch ($.05)
1/4 cup soy sauce ($.25) (GF meal if soy sauce is GF!)
1 (8 ounce) can pineapple chunks, with juice ($.79)
1 Tbsp vinegar ($.05)
1 Tbsp brown sugar ($.05)
1/2 tsp ground ginger ($.05)
1 cup rice ($.20)
1 12 oz. bag frozen corn ($.49) On sale this week, plus promotion and used $1 coupon!
**Buy generic/store brand soy sauce since there are rarely soy sauce coupons!
1. In large skillet over medium high heat, brown the diced chicken pieces in oil.
2. Add diced green bell pepper and garlic and stir-fry for 1 to 2 minutes.
3. In small bowl, whisk together corn starch and soy sauce, then pour the mixture into skillet along with the pineapple chunks, pineapple juice, vinegar, brown sugar, and ginger. Stir together and bring just to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5-10 minutes, or until sauce reaches desired consistency/thickness.
4. In medium saucepan, cook 1 cup of rice with 2 1/2 cups of water. Bring water to a boil. Add rice, stir and return to boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium. Cook for 20 minutes. Fluff the rice with fork before serving.
5. Cook frozen corn as directed on package instructions.
6. Serve Sweet and Sour Chicken over Rice with Corn.