Sunday, September 20, 2009

Sweet Mustard Glazed Salmon Fillets:


I finally got past my fear of cooking Salmon. For some reason I have always been afraid of it. Yesterday my In-Laws were visiting so I decided to get some Salmon to make for dinner. It was on sale for $5.99 a pound so I picked some up and found this recipe at the little recipe machine at my grocery store. The machine is pretty cool. You put in your ingredients and it gives you tons of recipes to choose from.

I was looking for a recipe that seemed healthy and included only ingredients that I already had around the house. This is what I found. Sweet Mustard Glazed Salmon Fillets. I altered the recipe to make it less points. It originally called for 2 TBSP of Brown Sugar but I used Splenda instead and it turned out great.

As you all know I am a huge Salmon fan. I have only ever had it at restaurants so it was a new experience cooking it. The only part that I found gross was cutting the skin off (I don't even know if you call it skin. Maybe scales?). It was gross but really easy. Once I got that off I threw it in my marinade that took about 30 seconds to make and then mix it around, put it in the dish and bake. It was so simple. Now it didn't taste like Red Lobster's Salmon but I still thought it was excellent and very healthy.

I am definitely not afraid of cooking salmon anymore. Anytime I find fresh Salmon at a good price I am going to buy it. I can't wait to find more recipes. :)



Sweet Mustard Glazed Salmon Fillets:

Servings: 4
Cook time: 15 min.

Ingredients:
2 TBSP lemon juice
2 TBSP Dijon Mustard
2 TBSP Brown Sugar (I used 2 TBSP of Splenda)
1 tsp ground cumin
4 salmon fillets, 6oz each
salt
pepper

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400 Degrees. In a shallow baking dish, mix together the lemon juice, mustard, brown sugar and cumin.
2. Season both sides of the salmon fillets with salt and pepper to taste; place the salmon in the baking dish, turning to coat with the mustard mixture.
3. Bake 10-15 minutes or until the fish flakeseasily with fork.

Nutrition Info: (This includes the brown sugar not the Splenda)
Calories 210, Total Fat 6 g, Fiber 0g, Protien 34 g.


4 comments:

Erin said...

wal-mart sells packages of individually packed salmon fillets that are really well priced. i pay about 5-6 dollars for a package of 6 or so. they're boneless and skinless and taste really fresh for frozen seafood. and because they are individually sealed, i can make as many or as few as i want and nothing goes to waste.

Anonymous said...

I just cook it with the skin on - skin side down. once it is cooked the skin peels right off the bottom and isn't gross at all! looks like a great recipe I will have to try!!

biz319 said...

I wish I liked salmon - that sounds delicious! Glad it worked out with the Splenda!

Easy Losing Weight said...

Looks very tasty! Love a good salmon.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin