Saturday, September 12, 2009

I'm Doing Couch-to-5K!!!

That's right. I started the Couch-to-5K Running Plan yesterday. If you have never heard of it before it is a beginner's running schedule to help new runners get off the couch and onto the roads, running 3 miles in just two months.


I am super excited about this because I have always wanted to be able to run but never really knew how to do it. It isn't one of those things that you can just take off and do. Most people can't anyway.


Their is a race in town in about two and a half months. I think it is on Thanksgiving. I would love to be able to run in it. I'm not sure if I would be able to get up the nerve to do it or not but I would really love to. It would be such an accomplishment. Maybe I need a running partner.


Anyway, this program has a 9 week calender to follow. Each session takes between 20-30 minutes and you do it three times a week. Not bad!


On week one you start up with a 5 minutes warm up walk and then alternate 60 seconds of jogging with 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes. I did this on the track at the gym yesterday and it was very easy but I think that is my limit right now (jogging for 60 seconds at a time). I know it's sad. I'm really worried about the weeks to follow. Week four has you jogging for 3 and 5 minutest at a time. Right now that seems impossible but I am going to do my best.


I think it is so hard to run when you are overweight. It is harder on the knees and pretty much every organ in your body. I really hope the training the next two months will help me lose some weight so that it is easier for me to run. My trainer told me that the more muscle you build in your legs the easier it will be to run. So I also need to get back into some strength training.


If you want to check out this program you can click here to go to the Cool Running's website.



Have you ever tried the Couch-to-5K Program? Did it work?







12 comments:

Carly said...

LOVE the couch to 5k program. It is the program that I everytime I need to restart running. In fact, I am starting again today as well. When you start running 3-5 minutes at a time it is hard at first but then after a few weeks, is is very easy. It is a great program to easy you into running.

good luck.

Living on the Spit said...

I would love to be your running partner...vitually speaking. I am starting this same program next week. I am telling myself everyday...I can do this...I can do this...I can do this.

Jessica @ Pudget: Losing Weight On A Budget said...

Carly, Thanks for the advice. It does look a little scary at first.

Living on the Spit, Thanks for being my virtual running partner :) I wish we lived close by so that we could run a race together some day.

Shelley said...

Very cool, Jessica - I hear the C25K program is the way to go! good luck with it...one of these days I will start it myself (probably not until November). Looking forward to hearing how you like it!

Pubsgal said...

Good for you, and good luck! I'm excited for you!

I didn't do couch to 5K when I started running--I was in very poor physical condition--but I took a similar, gradual approach. It was really hard at first, but in about 3 months, I was able to run 30 minutes without stopping. I ran a 5K about a month after that, and it was a BLAST! (At the time, I was still 40 pounds heavier than I do now.) Even after a year, I don't always feel like running before or during a run, but I always feel great after. (I always get excited to run on racing day, though!)

I would recommend choosing and signing up for a 5K race. In my experience, it's a friendly and encouraging crowd, and there are people of all shapes, sizes, and ages who run and walk in a 5K. Having a race scheduled really helped me stick to the plan. I had so much fun in my race that I felt encouraged to stick with it and sign up for MORE!

Misty said...

That is amazing that you posted this. I have never been a runner, but have always wanted to try (and need something I can do for free at home early in the mornings while kids sleep before husband leaves for work). I'm following your road (started at 208.4) and needing to lose about 50 pounds. I was down 10, but gained one this week. You have been a great inspiration to me!! Here's my blog if you'd like to see my family, thanks again for being so honest!!!!

Http://ericandmistynewsome.blogspot.com

Natasha said...

I'm on week two of the c25k and loving it. I'm sure you'll enjoy it as well. If you don't already know, there are downloadable podcasts that tell you when to start and stop running. I make my own, but there are online ones for free as well.

Good luck!

Nikki said...

I have never liked to run, even when I played softball when I was a kid lol. I always say the only time I will run is if something is chasing me LOL.
I love to walk though. So I'll probably just stick to that.
But good luck to you! :)

MizFit said...

everyone seems to agree that C25K is the greatest thing going :)

you can do this.
YOU CAN DO THIS.
just listen to your body (ok knees) and if they're screaming at you take it more slowly!

Jessica @ Pudget: Losing Weight On A Budget said...

Thanks so much for all of the great comments and advice.

Natasha, Thank yo so much. I didn't realize that there was a podcast. That will make things so much easier. I can't wait to use it tomorrow.

Heather & Chaos said...

I LOVE c25k. It's what got me started! There are lots of podcasts out there too now to help with the whole when to start and stop. That was my biggest hang up when I first tried to start this program. I'm proud to say I have now run FOUR 5Ks! They are SO FUN! Especially when you get medals (2 of my 4 I got medals). Enjoy, have fun with it! That's the most important part. And don't stress, if you have to, repeat a week ( i know i did!). And it does get easier. Good luck! I'll be following your progress. =)

Heather
http://anewheather.blogspot.com

Mimi said...

Rock on girl!!!

I have heard of this, but can't run because of a bad ankle injury.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin