Friday, September 4, 2009

How To Eat At McDonald's

I just read a post at A Merry Life and I had to share it with all of you. She is talking about what to eat and not eat at McDonald's.

As I read her post (click here to read) it brought back so many memories of the way my life used to be and how much it has changed in the past 8 months. She talks about not ordering multiple meals when going through the drive thru. I will admit it. I used to be that person. If two meals looked good and I was hungry I would order them. I'm not sure why I would order two meals but I did and then I would sit in the parking lot by myself and eat both meals. It is so sick to think about but I think I did it because I was so unhappy with myself and my weight. I didn't know how to change things. I just figured I would be fat forever so why bother.


If any of you are thinking this way please don't give up and order that Big Mac and Large Fries. There is a way. It is very hard at times (especially at first) but it is possible to make those changes. Moderation and exercise are what saved me. I went from the person that would go through the Drive Thru at midnight and order tons of food to the person that isn't even tempted by this anymore. It wasn't easy changing those old habits but I did it. Don't get me wrong. I still crave Big Mac's (especially when my husband is sitting next to me eating one). But I have realized that I want to be healthy more then I want that food.

One of the main reasons for making these changes in my life are my daughters. They are my world and I never want them to go through what I have gone through. I have been overweight since I was a child and it was so hard to deal with. I don't want my children to have to deal will the tormenting and low self esteem that I had to. I am changing my way of life for my girls. I want to be a good role model for them. I want to show them that food is not the answer to my problems. I want to show them to go to God when they are upset, sad or afraid. He is the only one that can help us. Not Food.


Now when I take the girls to McDonald's I order a hamburger Happy Meal (sometimes cheeseburger if I'm splurging :)) and a yogurt parfait. I love McDonald's and I don't like to go their to get a salad. Don't get me wrong I do like salads and McDonald's salads are good. I would just rather have the burger and fries in moderation. Otherwise I feel deprived and find myself snacking on other stuff later or maybe finishing up my daughter's fries. This way I feel satisfied and I don't feel the need to eat my daughter's meal and a salad.

The best part is that I am showing my daughters that they can still go to McDonald's every once in a while and eat the type of food that they want to. I don't want them thinking the more food the better. I want them to learn to eat until they are full. If they see Mommy pig out they are going to think it is ok and that is what we are supposed to do. But if they see Mommy eat the "unhealthy food" in moderation, every once in a while, they will hopefully realize that it is the way to do it.

I don't want my girls to think that they have to eat salads for every meal to stay healthy (or thin). I think this could lead to eating disorders in my children down the road. Which is not what I want for them. I am very careful about what I say to them. I tell them that Mommy is eating like this to become healthier not to get skinny. It is so hard trying to find the right things to say to your kids.

I hope you all enjoy the post at A Merry Life and I hope it helps everyone figure out a plan for yourselves on how you can still eat fast food and enjoy it while staying healthy.


7 comments:

Mandie said...

I've been that "drive-thru'er" myself!!!! It's very hard to overcome, but you're right. we CAN!!! Thanks for sharing this with us!!!!!

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

You are a great example for your daughters.

KK @ Running Through Life said...

Way to be a great role model for your family!

Erin said...

good for you! i used to work right next to a wendy's and i would walk to my car every night and smell the food and i wanted it. i ate wendy's all the time. since i lost my job in april, i've eaten at wendy's ONCE. i can't even believe it sometimes. i used to love it so much and now i hardly think about it. i even find myself now ordering the kids size sub at subway instead of the 6 inch or 12 inch i used to get all the time. it's so insane sometimes to think back on all the total crap i used to eat. chips and soda every day. candy bars. fast food all the time. when i think about the way i feel now, compared to how i felt then...its a total 180. i felt fat and greasy and just disgusting. i'm still heavy, but i feel so good now.
so good on you for giving your daughters a great example!

Heidi said...

I absolutely LOVE this post, especially where you talk about influencing your kids to eat unhealthy things in moderation. I truly believe that is what life is all about. Yeah, I'd kind of like to be the type of person who eats healthy ALL the time, but I just don't believe that's me (or very many people). I like being able to indulge on occassion and feel human.

Mimi said...

Wow you just hit a nerve. I'll go and order a filet o'fish meal for now & order a Big Mac to eat "later".

Why do we do this to ourselves. I still do it & it's embarassing and shameful.

I love your honesty and your blog!

laurajane said...

Great post. It is amazing to look back on the things we used to do and see how far we've come. However, to be completely honest, I still do slip-up every now and then. But I think about how many times I used to do the unhealthy things and how rare it is now. I completely agree that it is a lot harder at first. I love your attitude toward teaching your girls good habits.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin