Monday, September 14, 2009

Big Fat Blueberry Muffins

This is a Must Try! These Big Fat Blueberry Muffins are amazing. They taste great and the small amount of calories in these things are crazy. You seriously will not believe me after you taste these that there are only 137 calories in one. I know I didn't and I really still have a hard time believing it because they are so good and so big. They would make the perfect snack to take for a work breakfast/party or even a girls night in.


My sister made these muffins this weekend when she hosted a jewelry party through me. Thanks Heather!!! She said it actually made 8 muffins instead of 6 just because she couldn't get anymore batter in the muffin pan. This is the second time she made them and she said she had the same problem both times. I guess this is a good thing because it just means less calories per muffin and they are still super huge.


I have eaten one every day since Saturday. I one for breakfasts today with a little spray butter. It was awesome and so filling. I also ate a bowl of watermelon with it. Can you tell who got to take the leftovers home? :)


Big Fat Blueberry Muffins:
From: "Hungry Girl 200 under 200"

Ingredients:

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup of fresh blueberries
1/2 cup light vanilla soy milk
1/4 cup sugar-free pancake syrup
1/4 cup fat free liquid egg substitute
1/4 cup Splenda No Calorie Sweetener (granulated)
3 Tablespoons brown sugar
2 Tablespoons light whipped butter or light buttery spread, room temp.
2 Tablespoons no sugar added applesauce (get Mott's Blueberry Delight if you can find it!)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, Splenda, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt, stirring until mixed well.

In a large mixing bowl, combine soy milk, syrup, egg substitute, butter, applesauce, and vanilla extract. Using an electric mixer or a whisk, mix until thoroughly blended. Do not worry if butter bits do not break up completely.

Add dry ingredients in the first mixing bowl to wet ingredients in the large mixing bowl an mix until completely blended. Then fold in blueberries.

Line a 6 cup muffin pan (or half a 12 cup pan) with baking liner (I don't recommend this) or spray (I recommend). Evenly distribute batter among the 6 cups.

Bake in the oven for about 22 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Enjoy!

Makes 6 Servings

Per serving (1 muffin): 137 calories, 2.25g fat, 3g fiber


4 comments:

Diane, Fit to the Finish said...

I love blueberry muffins! Thanks for sharing this great recipe!

Jessica @ Pudget: Losing Weight On A Budget said...

I forgot to mention that they are just 2 P's or even less if you make more then 6 muffins.

laurajane said...

They look good. 137 calories is really great for a muffin. I printed the recipe, and I'll be giving it a try. Over half the ingredients is stuff I don't have on hand, or I'd make them now. I bet you could make a double batch and they'd freeze. I wonder if you could use frozen blueberries?

Mimi said...

Oh wow, I'm saving this recipe! Nutrisystem has something that they call blueberry muffins, but everybody refers to them as gut bombs. That's if they're being nice!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin