Monday, August 10, 2009

Review: Shirataki Noodles





I am so excited because I found Shirataki Noodles at the Grocery Store last week. I heard about them several years ago on the Weight Watchers message boards but never had he chance to try them. So when I found them at the grocery store I bought two packages.


I decided to make up a package for lunch today because I really didn't have much else in the house to eat. :) I had some leftover chicken so I made chicken spaghetti. I was very pleased with the way it turned out.


The only thing that I remembered hearing about the Shirataki Noodles was that you had to hold your nose while rinsing them because they smell bad. I decided to listen to that advice because I new that if it smelled bad I would never be able to get it in my mouth. I'm weird like that. I did end up smelling it a little while putting the noodles in the pan to boil but it wasn't an awful smell. The package says to boil the noodles for 2-3 minutes to get rid of it's natural smell.









This is what it looked like when it was done. It was great. It tasted just like spaghetti noodles and the texture was almost exactly the same. If I wouldn't have known differently I probably wouldn't have been able to tell the difference.








The Very Best part about these noodles is that they are only 20 calories a serving. That is 20 calories, .5 grams of fat and 2 grams of fiber per serving. Each bag has two servings so even if you ate both servings it would be 0 P's. So Exciting!!!




I actually did up the whole package for lunch (2 servings). Although I would not have needed to. I only ate about half of what you see on my plate. I guess Tofu must be more filling then I had thought. I never ate it before but I was stuffed after eating less then half of the noodles and a little more then half of the chicken.



I know the pasta sauce has carbs in but I did get tons of protein with the chicken and Tofu (from the Skirataki Noodles). So I'm not going to worry about the few carbs in the sauce.


If you are wondering about the price of these noodles I really didn't think it was bad. I paid a little more then a dollar a package. For me that is 50-60 cents a meal for the noodles. Not bad for something as healthy and delicious as these noodles.



I give them a Thumbs Up! I will probably be buying a bag or two every week. It is so nice to finally have a really good tasting and healthy alternative to pasta.

What is your favorite Shirataki Noodle Recipe?



7 comments:

Joy said...

Wow, I am going to have to try these. Thanks!

ladyandria said...

Are those on the shelf in the Asian foods section, or refrigerated?

Jessica @ Pudget: Losing Weight On A Budget said...

They were in the refridgerated section. With all of the veggie and tofu products. I only have one store in my area that carries them so they may be hard to find. Good luck! :)

MizFit said...

I LOOOVE them.
The husband? gags at the sight now :)

more for me...

Mama Bear June said...

Sounds very yummy! You are doing an awesome job and look fabulous!

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

I'm trying to find them. They look good. Thanks for the tip about not smelling them before they are cooked.

Heather & Chaos said...

Have you heard of Hungry Girl?? She LOVES these noodles and has tons of different recipes for them. Check her out. http://www.hungry-girl.com

Blog Widget by LinkWithin