Saturday, August 8, 2009

Recipe: Turkey Cheese Meatloaf

My sister just sent me this recipe for Turkey Meatloaf. It is different then your traditional meatloaf and it sounds really good. I haven't tried it yet but I think it will be a good dinner for tomorrow night.

It sounds like a good low carb/high protein meal. The only thing I will do differently is use egg whites instead of he egg and I would like to find something lower carb to replace the bread crumbs. I have used oatmeal before but I think that is still a carb.
Does anyone have any suggestions?




Turkey Cheese Meatloaf:

1 lb of ground turkey
1 egg or egg beaters
3/4 cup of Italian bread crumbs
1/4 cup of ketchup
3 low fat string cheese (I think light Cheese Head Cheese is 1P a String)

Take half and form into meatloaf (bottom form), place 3 low fat string cheese on top. Next place the rest of the meatloaf on top. You can make your meatloaf any way you want, then place the cheese in the middle. OR you can use muffin tins and do the same kind of thing so it bakes faster (just stick 1/2 of a stick of cheese down the middle of the meatloaf muffin). Kristin said "This was soooooo good! You definitely need to try to make it with string cheese.".


Thanks Kristin!


2 comments:

Mimi said...

I'm not sure where you live, but in Michigan and some surrounding states you can find Aunt Millies Fiber For Life bread. It's a regular sized slice of bread & 35 calories per slice.

I usually toast those & make breadcrumbs.

If you can't do that you might try cooked brown rice??

I'm So Pretty said...

many grocery stores carry deep fried pork rinds. Sounds dreadful, I know, and they aren't exactly yummy in my opininion either (although some people love them!), but they do crunch/grind up really well and make perfect "breadcrumbs" that are extremely low-carb. Really good for this recipe or for coating, say, a piece of chicken prior to pan frying to get a crispy outer crust. I also think the previous suggestion of finding some low-carb bread and toasting it up for breadcrumbs is an excellent idea.

Regarding the ketchup, Heinz used to make a one-carb variety that was delicious! Now that the low-carb "craze" is over (even though it's still a great way to eat and lose weight for many folks), the Heinz folks relabeled it as "sugar-free" ketchup. But it's the same thing, and tastes every bit like the higher-sugar regular version.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin