Saturday, August 15, 2009

Cooking Healthy On A Budget

I am leaving today for my cousin's wedding in New York. I really can't wait to see my family. We are going to have such a great time.

I am wearing one of my sister's dresses to the wedding. Either the red one that I wore to the Bridal Shower or a black one that she is bringing along for me to try on. It is so nice being able to borrow my sisters clothes. I haven't been able to do that in a long time.

One of the reasons I am really excited is because I weighed 181.5 this morning. That's down another pound and a half since Thursday. I really hope I can see a difference when I put that red dress on today.

I will take lots of pictures and post them when I get back.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


A Tip for cooking healthy on a Budget:



Buy a big package of boneless skinless chicken breasts when they are on sale (ex. $1.79pd). Cook the whole package in the crock pot in the beginning of the week. If you cook it long enough it will be very tender and easy to shred. Turn the chicken into several different meals for the week. I did this last week and we got 4 dinners and several lunches out of a $11.00 package of chicken.

Examples of meals:

1. Chicken Fajitas
2. Chicken BBQ Sandwiches
3. Grilled Chicken Sandwiches w/ low fat wheat buns
4 Plain Grilled Chicken (serve with baked potato and veggie)
5. Chicken Salad Sandwiches
6. Chicken on your green salad
7. Chicken Quasadilas
8. Pretty much any chicken casserole



----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember: Check back next week because I am having a giveaway!!!!


5 comments:

biz319 said...

Great idea and I love your new header!!

Have fun at the wedding and congrats on the weigh in!

Penny said...

I love this idea! Please share the recipes.

2Bmeagain said...

GREAT idea for your chicken. I never thought to cook it all at once in a crock pot. I'm definitely going to try that. I have wanted to get away from processed sandwich meats for lunches and having chicken already cooked and shredded would be the perfect substitute.

Hope you have a SUPER weekend at the wedding!

Heather said...

I am so glad I took your suggestion! Emeril's Essence is fabulous! When I smelled it cooking, I wished I hadn't already made our dinner for the night. It smelled that good. Can't wait for our fajitas tonight!

Mimi said...

I buy whole chickens, which are very cheap & do basically the same thing, but I boil it. Then I reduce the water it boiled in to make fresh chicken stock that I freeze in 1 cup amounts.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin