Tuesday, July 7, 2009

I Love This Cake!!!



Can you tell that I am excited about this cake? I am ecstatic that I found a cake that is so inexpensive, easy to make and tastes so amazing.

Yesterday I wanted to make a spice cake. I found a recipe on the Weight Watchers Message boards a few months ago where you mix a spice cake and pumpkin for a low Point cake. I bought the spice cake and pumpkin a few weeks ago but never made the cake. So yesterday I looked up the recipe on the WW Message boards again to make sure I made it correctly and I accidentally found a recipe of Apple Spice Cake.

The recipe called for one boxed Spice Cake and one can of Sugar Free Apple Pie filling (sweetened with Splenda). I was so excited because I have had a can of this pie filling for months and I didn't know what to do with it. I was just so excited that Walmart sold their own brand of sugar free pie filling that I bought it. Sugar Free pie filling is so expensive so if you can find the store brand usually you can get it at a great price.



Spice Cake:

1 boxed Spice Cake
1 can Sugar Free Apple Pie Filling (try to find the store brand)
2 TBSP of water
Fat Free Cool Whip (again, try to find store brand)

Use mixer to mix cake mix and apple pie filling. I added about 2 TBSP of water to it to make it a little easier to mix. Put batter in an 11x13 pan and bake for approx. 20-25 minutes. Cut into 18 slices for 3 P's a piece or cut into 24 slices for 2 P's a piece. Top with 2 TBSP's of Cool Whip for an Amazing Dessert.




This cake was a perfect after dinner dessert. It was still a little warm when we ate it and the Cool Whip was such a great addition to the cake. I think I am going to keep the three ingredients on hand at all times for those short notice invites that we receive. It is a perfect dessert to take to a picnic or a nice dinner at a friends house. The best part is that you can bake it right before you leave and you don't have to worry about letting it cool first. Another plus is that it looks beautiful when it comes out of the oven. You can see all of the spices and the apple pieces. No one would ever guess that it is a boxed cake or that it is low fat.

I am so excited to have found this recipe and the whole cake including the Cool Whip only cost me about $4.00. You can't beat that. I hope you all enjoy this recipe as much as I do.



What is your favorite Boxed Cake Recipe?


6 comments:

Carly said...

I make chocolate muffins with a devils food cake mix and a can of pumpkin. That is it. They are to die for.

Anonymous said...

yum.. will have to try this. I do the spice cake and pumpkin one. I also add water so it is not so it is a little lighter in texture.

TJ said...

I found these ideas on the WW boards over a almost 2 years ago- we always make the pumpkin and the pineapple ones. YUM! Everyone loves it!
-------
Angel Food Cake IDEAS
12 servings

1 package dry angel food cake mix (Betty Crocker 1 step)
*see variations below*

Mix the angel food cake mix and desired flavor ingredients together and beat by hand until blended. Pour into 13x9 ungreased pan and bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes. Cool upside down. (Muffins: bake 10-12 minute.)

Pineapple 1 can (20 oz) crushed pineapple in juice

Pina Colada add 1T coconut extract (and 1T rum extract) to pineapple directions

Lemon 1 cup + 3T water, 2T lemon juice and 2 tsp lemon zest-2pts/serv
Lemon 1 can lemon pie filling

Cherry 1 can (20 oz) Comstock light cherry pie filling

Black Forest add 1/2 cup cocoa to Cherry version

Pumpkin 1 can(15 oz)pumpkin 3/4c water 1T each vanilla & cinnamon-2pts/serv

Orange Citrus -- 1-1/4 cup water and 2 tsp grated orange peel

Cotton Candy -- 1 small pkg (3.4 oz) sugar free flavored gelatin, any flavor, 1-1/4 cup water.

Carrot Cake Add 1/2c finely shredded carrot, 14oz can of pineapple, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg

Melisa said...

I love the WW boards for great ideas!

I have done the spice w/ pumkin recipe as well as pumpkin in a carrot cake. Adding pumpkin makes the cakes very dense. For a "fluffier" or lighter cake you can add simply 12oz of diet soda to your favorite cake mix. Nothing else just diet soda flavor of your choice. I use the Pillsbury reduced sugar cake mix (found at my local grocery but not at my WalMart) and add diet sprite. I make 12 large cupcakes for portion control.

Kat said...

I've not tried any of the above recipes (I've seen your pumpkin one but haven't tried it yet) but I have made cake with a can of diet soda that tastes pretty good.

Chocolate cake with Diet Dr Pepper or
Chocolate cake with Diet Coke or
Yellow cake with Diet Lemon Lime
are a few that come to mind, but I know people were doing all kinds of variations.

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

The cake looks great. I'm going to try it. I haven't done many of these cake box recipes. I have made the brownies with pumpkin which is good.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin