Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Freezing Veggies To Save Money







We all know how expensive frozen vegetable have gotten lately so I thought I would write about Freezing Veggies from the Garden to save money.


Honestly this is all new to me. In the past I didn't have time to plant, pick or freeze vegetables. I just bought them at the grocery store and didn't think much of it. Now that I am a Stay At Home Mom and on a budget I need to find ways to save money. This is just another way that I have found to lower my grocery bill.







My in-laws own a large grain farm about an hour and twenty minutes from my house. Every year they plant a huge garden and freeze all of their vegetable to eat through out the year. This year they asked us if we would like to come pick some peas and Green beans and strawberries to freeze for the year. Of course we jumped right on that.

So this past Saturday we went to their house very early in the morning (before our picnic) and picked peas and Green beans (we did the strawberries a few weeks ago). I really shouldn't say we picked them because that is not completely true. My in-laws, my husband and my oldest daughter picked them and I entertained the baby.






My daughter had a blast as you can see from the pictures. She loved eating the raw peas. I had to make her stop eating them because I was afraid that she would get an upset stomach.


I found out this weekend that freezing vegetables is not as easy as it sounds. It took a long time to pick, shell, blanch and bag all of the veggies. But if you have the time it is definitely worth it. Having those vegetables in the freezer is going to save us a lot of money through out the year.







My husband and Mother-In-Law blanched the veggies so I really can't tell you how it is done but if you click here and check out this site it will give you step by step instructions.


If you don't have your own garden you can visit your local farmer's market and buy in bulk and freeze. You may be able to get a better deal when buying in bulk if you ask.




The best part of Freezing your own vegetables is that you have fresh tasting vegetables year round. They are much better tasting then the ones you buy at the grocery store.


1 comment:

Terri said...

Yep, we do the same thing. Started it last year. It was nice to have fresh fruits and veggies ready in our freezer. Great job!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin