Monday, May 18, 2009

Not Enough Time To Exercise???

Today I made it to the gym. I went on the elliptical for 42 minutes and burnt 402 calories. I am starting to feel like I am not exercising enough but I'm really not sure how to do more because of time constraints. Ideally I would like to exercise for 1 and half hours and use different equipment. Unfortunately with the time issue I just stick with the elliptical because I seem to burn calories the fastest on it.

Does anyone know if burning 400 calories exercising is a good amount to burn in a day in order to lose weight? I think I am going to do a search online and see what I can find.

Sometimes I just wish I had a little extra time to exercise. It is so hard for me to get the kids up, dressed, hair done, drinks and snacks packed, fed and given medicine before we get out the door. Then I also have to get myself around (coffee, breakfast, dressed, hair done and clean clothes packed for the gym). I can't seem to make it out the door before 10:15am. By the time I get to the gym and get the kids checked in it only leaves me with about 45 minutes to exercise. Does anyone have any advice? I really don't want to get out of bed earlier. We usually sleep until 8:00am.



If anyone feels the same way I would love to hear about how you deal with exercise and time constraints.



If you haven't entered my giveaway click here to check it out.


7 comments:

Nerd Girl said...

cardio burns more calories "right now", but if you build some muscle, you will burn more calories around the clock, because muscle burns more than fat. It is good to have a little of both so you should switch off. If you did cardio today, do strength training tomorrow. If you only have a little bit of time, you can do a circuit with the machines. THis means going from machine to machine without any rest in between. Say you do a set of bicep curls, then go straight to the leg extension machine and do a set there and so on. When you have done a full circuit(one machine or exercise per body part) then you start at the beginnign and do it again. This will get your heart rate up and is almost like doing cardio and weights at the same time.

Carrie said...

Jessica - here is my advice. 45 min is plenty of time. You just need to switch up what you are doing. I'll email you some examples. Doing the same thing over and over won't yield the results you are looking for...and the more changes you add and the harder you push yourself for the 45 min...the more/better results you'll see!

Kelley said...

I have been told (by my Personal Train er) that, the first 20-30 minutes of any exercise burns ONLY the calories that you ate at your last meal. After that, the stored fat begins to be "attacked". Her advice to me was to work up to doing 1 hour of whatever cardio you choose but then once I reached that hour, not to go up any more (time wise) but to make that time more productive. For instance, in one hour, I used to walk 3 miles so to become more productive, I would increase my speed and do more distance in the same amount of time. I do an hour on a treadmill (and sometimes on a Treadclimber) and another way to burn more calories, for me, is to walk on an incline. So, basically, you don't have to increase your time to increase the benefits of your workout.

Pubsgal said...

I would chime in with Nerd Girl and Kelley: Use some of your workout time a couple of days a week to add in some strength training exercises, and do "interval training," in which you do bursts of higher intensity of whatever you happen to be doing at the time. Mayo Clinic has some good articles.

"Interval Training: Can it boost your calorie-burning power?" (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/interval-training/SM00110)

"Weight Training: Improve your muscular fitness" (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/weight-training/HQ01627)

"Strength Training: How-to video collection" (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/strength-training/MY00033)

laurajane said...

I definitely understand feeling like you need to exercise more. It is hard to fit it into to your schedule. I find that I generally do burn the most calories on the elliptical. As far as if 400 calories is enough to lose weight, here's how I look at it. We know that there are 3500 calories in a pound. Therefore, if you burn 400 calories per workout and you work out six days per week, then you would burn 2400 calories/week or .7 lbs in a week. That would be almost 3 pounds a month that you can burn off by that amount of exercise. I think that's pretty good! Anyway, that's how I usually think about it.

Tiffany said...

I totaly understand the not enough hours in the day. I hate getting up early but that is the ONLY time I can guarantee a workout (and that is only if my 1 year sleeps until 7am). I try to get up between 5:30 and 6am so that I can relax and wake up first and then workout. My husband and I have to get ourselves and two girls ready for the day and I have to be at work by 8am.

Something else is that I would highly recommend is the strenght train in addition to cardio. The more muscles you have the more calories your body burns on a daily basis. Muscle burns more calories than fat.

Pamela Kramer said...

All these comments are great! I have the same issue with time constraints. I don't have a gym membership so I try to make it to the track at the park. I'm lucky to make it around the whole track with my little people in tow. I can't maintain a good pace. I need to figure out something!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin