Tuesday, May 12, 2009

New Recipe!




My dinner tonight was a recipe by Rachel Ray. The picture doesn't look very appetizing but it was really delicious and low fat.

It is called Whole Wheat Pasta Arrabbiata with Arugula. I bought some Arugula and needed a recipe to make using it. This is a low-fat one I found online. It made six servings and the servings were huge. I ate mine with a salad of Romain lettuce, a sprinkle of pecorini-romano cheese and light raspberry vinaigrette. It was a delicious filling meatless dinner. Yum!
The recipe calls for grated pecorino-romano cheese. I never purchased it before and now I know why. It is expensive. It was $7.99 a pound. I only needed a cup but I had to buy a whole pound. Which is OK because it is amazing. I love to eat it on salads.

The whole meal only cost right around $5.00. It was spicy and I enjoyed eating something different. It is a definite keeper. Even my 4 year old daughter loved it.


Whole Wheat Pasta Arrabbiata with Arugula

From Every Day with Rachael Ray
September 2007

FOUR TO SIX SERVINGS

Ingredients:


Salt
1 pound whole wheat penne rigate or gemelli pasta
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
1 small red onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, grated
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
One 28-ounce can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
Black pepper
1 cup grated pecorino-romano cheese
4 cups arugula, coarsely chopped


Directions:
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain, reserving a ladleful of the cooking water.
2. While the pasta is working, in a deep skillet, heat the EVOO, 4 turns of the pan, over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and crushed red pepper and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the vinegar, then the tomatoes. Season to taste with salt and black pepper and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
3. Add the pasta and reserved pasta cooking water to the skillet and toss for 1 minute. Add the cheese, then toss in the arugula and cook until wilted, 1 minute longer.


5 comments:

TJ said...

YUM! looks good! :) Thanks for the recipe!

:)tj

Lori said...

That looks great!

MackAttack said...

Oh...that looks so tasty! thanks for posting!

Kate said...

The recipe sounds delicious and I'm definitely going to try it. Thanks!

laurajane said...

That looks delicious. Thanks for sharing.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin