Wednesday, April 29, 2009

A Way To Stretch The Budget and 1 point Soup

Update: I added about 1/3 of a cup of Splenda and about 3-4 more cups of water to my soup to make it less tangy.

I just threw some soup together with some veggies that I had in the freezer and cupboard to come up with this really great tasting low cal soup. I will post the recipe below. If you are on a budget I would suggest doing this every once in a while just to get you through a rough week money wise or just as a way to stretch your budget. I just went through my freezer and cupboards and came up with an experiment. I ended up with 13 cups of great tasting soup by just using what I had around the house. This will definitely save me some money this week.


Veggie Soup:

1 bag of frozen mixed veggies
1 can of fat free chicken broth
4 bouillon cubes
4 cups of water
2 cans of whole cut green beans
2 cans of diced tomatoes
1 1/2 cups of ketchup
1 TBSP of chopped bay leaves
2 Boca Burgers grilled and chopped into bite size pieces(I had the veggie kind that have corn and peppers in them. You could substitute with any meat you have on hand).
Salt
Pepper

Put everything in a large pot except canned veggies and boca burgers. Let boil until the soup gets a little thick and veggies are cooked. Then put canned veggies and boco burgers in and cook until heated.


How do you stretch your budget when it comes to food? Do you have any great money stretching recipes?


5 comments:

laurajane said...

That's a great idea! I work on eating what I have on hand before I go buy new food. I also try to go through my refrigerator once a week and move anything that could go bad to the freezer. The thing that saves me the most money is cooking things ahead of time, portioning them in individual servings, and freezing so they're ready to go when I need them. This way I never feel like I need to get fast food. I also eat lots of eggs (omelets, scrambled, or boiled on salads) and therefore don't need as much meat.

Mimi said...

This is a copy of a post of what I do. Soooo low in calories & so good.

Mimi's Tummy Filler Soup

This is more of a method than a recipe, but I get asked for this a lot. I have been on & off of the Nutrisystem diet plan for a year or so now. (Lately I've been very off plan!)

This soup is based on the principle that many veggies are considered "free foods". The base is also very diet friendly.

Veggies I always use to make “Tummy Filler” soup are celery, cabbage, zucchini, yellow squash & mushrooms. I make these the basis of the soup because they have very few calories. Greens like spinach, kale & watercress would be perfect in the soup, also. I usually also add diced onion, broccoli, cauliflower & green beans. I avoid things like peas, potatoes & corn based on their amounts of sugar.

I chop all the veggies & sauté them in a couple of sprays of olive oil flavored Pam until they start to soften. Then add low-sodium, low-fat beef stock to cover. Most of these stocks are 25 calories or less, for one cup. I also throw in some low-sodium V-8 Juice for some additional flavor and some salt-free Mrs. Dash. (For 6-8 cups of soup, I usually add about 8 oz. of V-8.)

One full cup of this soup is usually only 25-35 calories depending on what veggies you use. I make big batches & freeze them. I use this in place of salads a lot in the winter & since I’m not using any salad dressing I think it’s actually better diet wise.

As you can see it’s not really a recipe so much as the way I throw things together, but it's healthy, hot, filling & diet friendly!

Chubby Chick said...

Thanks so much for your kind comment today! :)

Mimi said...

I left you an award on my Screaming Mimi blog!

Gigi said...

Lots of leftovers!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin