Monday, April 20, 2009

Recipe Review: Sweet Mustard Glazed Salmon Fillets

I finally got past my fear of cooking Salmon. For some reason I have always been afraid of it. Yesterday my In-Laws were visiting so I decided to get some Salmon to make for dinner. It was on sale for $5.99 a pound so I picked some up and found this recipe at the little recipe machine at my grocery store. The machine is pretty cool. You put in your ingredients and it gives you tons of recipes to choose from.

I was looking for a recipe that seemed healthy and included only ingredients that I already had around the house. This is what I found. Sweet Mustard Glazed Salmon Fillets. I altered the recipe to make it less points. It originally called for 2 TBSP of Brown Sugar but I used Splenda instead and it turned out great.

As you all know I am a huge Salmon fan. I have only ever had it at restaurants so it was a new experience cooking it. The only part that I found gross was cutting the skin off (I don't even know if you call it skin. Maybe scales?). It was gross but really easy. Once I got that off I threw it in my marinade that took about 30 seconds to make and then mix it around, put it in the dish and bake. It was so simple. Now it didn't taste like Red Lobster's Salmon but I still thought it was excellent and very healthy.

I am definitely not afraid of cooking salmon anymore. Anytime I find fresh Salmon at a good price I am going to buy it. I can't wait to find more recipes. :)





Sorry about the picture. Half of it was missing before I took the picture. It looked and tasted better then it looks in this picture.

Sweet Mustard Glazed Salmon Fillets:

Servings: 4
Cook time: 15 min.

Ingredients:
2 TBSP lemon juice
2 TBSP Dijon Mustard
2 TBSP Brown Sugar (I used 2 TBSP of Splenda)
1 tsp ground cumin
4 salmon fillets, 6oz each
salt
pepper

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400 Degrees. In a shallow baking dish, mix together the lemon juice, mustard, brown sugar and cumin.
2. Season both sides of the salmon fillets with salt and pepper to taste; place the salmon in the baking dish, turning to coat with the mustard mixture.
3. Bake 10-15 minutes or until the fish flakeseasily with fork.

Nutrition Info: (This includes the brown sugar not the Splenda)
Calories 210, Total Fat 6 g, Fiber 0g, Protien 34 g.


8 comments:

Ryann said...

I don't think you have to remove that skin... it's edible!

Tiffany said...

I found your blog from Carrie at Newlywed girl and just stared reading it. My husband makes an excellent salmon - check out Bobbie Flay from Food network that is where my hubby found the receipe. It has balsamic vinger, tomatoes and corn - yum!

Ashley said...

I'm totally going to make this someday soon. I heart salmon!

Exploramania said...

you look really good keep up the good work and having said that, please come to my healthy party with free prizes and great ideas for healthy kids to be fit. Enjoy!

Gymathtics LIVE Event is going virtual! - Saturday, April 25, 2009, 2-5pm



Exploramania is having a Gymathtics LIVE Event in Tampa but wants to invite everyone who cannot physically attend to attend virtually through the Internet. There will be games, prizes, demonstrations, and live photos from the event from 2-5pm on April 25th all streaming through the Internet celebrating Math & Exercise with Gymathtics. This is a GREAT family activity for some safe family FUN. Those participating through the Internet will have added perks by utilizing Social Networking sites like Facebook, MySpace, LinkedIn, and Twitter during the event. Even better, everyone can enter for giveaways, including the Gymathtics DVD, starting TODAY! Share this with your friends and family.



For instructions on how to participate online, visit Exploramania’s Blog at www.Exploramania.Blogspot.com.

Big Girl said...

Good for you for trying to cook something new! and even better it turned out great. The recipe sounds super yummy, I'll have to give it a whirl, thanks for sharing it.

Lori said...

Sounds yummy! My DH loves salmon

Melisa said...

Yum! This looks great. I wish my husband and daughter would eat fish. I will have to save this for when its just me and my "little" man.

Bella said...

Great recipe, thanks for sharing it.

That recipe machine at your grocery store sounds so cool! What a nice service to offer to customers.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin