Monday, April 6, 2009

Hobo Burgers


If you have never had these before you really have to try them. They are so simple to make, really low fat and inexpensive. I buy all of my ingredients at Aldi and I usually pair it up with a nice salad.

When I was growing up we made them every summer when we were camping. After I got married I was hungry for them one day and decided to try to make them in the oven. They turned out just as good. I think I enjoy them a little more when camping just because of the good old out doors. :)

Hobo Burgers:

Ingredients:

5 (1/4) pound lean hamburger patties
2 cans of sliced carrots (I like to use no salt carrots)
2-3 cans of little potatoes (I think I usually use the cans that have whole little potatoes. I didn't have any so I just peeled and cut 4 potatoes into large cubes and boiled until a little bit soft.)
1 large onion sliced.
salt
pepper
Worcester sauce

Directions:

Lay 5 good size pieces of foil on the counter. On each piece lay your hamburger patty down and salt and pepper. Fold the edges of foil up a little on all sides to hold sauce in. Then put a few slices of onion and some carrots and potato. I usually put lots of carrots and about the amount of a whole potato on top. Put a little salt and pepper on top of each and then shake a good amount of Worcester sauce on (probably about 1-2 TBSP). Fold up edges of foil and roll in the middle and then on both ends. Put all five on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for about 35 minutes. I usually put more Worcester sauce, salt and pepper on at the end but my husband likes them better just the way they are.



10 comments:

Jessie said...

Interesting. I have never heard of these before! They sound really yummy though. Kind of a mix between a burger and a beef pot roast. I'm always looking for something new to try that is low point, inexpensive and tastes good... these sound like a hit!

laurajane said...

This looks delicious. I'll have to give it a try.

Twix said...

They sound similar to the packets I throw on the grill in the summer. Never thought to try it in the oven. : ) Thanks for sharing!!

Terri said...

Yum! I will have to make these.

Keep up the good work with the weight loss.

autumnesf said...

When I was growing up we were on a very limited budget. This was something my mom made to stretch a pound a ground beef for the whole family. I loved them!

When my son became a camping boyscout we learned the trick of throwing in some cream of mushroom or other soup to keep it all moist in the fire. Good stuff!

KK @ Running Through Life said...

Yum! Thanks for the recipe!!

Marya said...

Simple is good..thanks for the recipe

Becca said...

We made these every year for girls camp. They were great, until the year I used some bacon sausage stuff for my meat (its what we had at home). That stuff does not get brown, and the leaders refused to let me eat mine since it was still pink. I haven't eaten them since. But that was like 10 years ago so I should get over it.

Natalie said...

okay that sounds good. i didn't even know that you could buy canned potatoes. hum. anyway, probably lots cheaper to use potatoes bought in bulk. i might have to give this recipe a try soon!

Colleen said...

I'm now feeling VERY hungry.

That sounds so simple... and yummy!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin