Sunday, April 26, 2009

Great Food Find At Walmart!






I am so excited about this food find. I found these in fresh fish section at Walmart. They were actually in a large freezer next to the fresh fish. The Salmon and the Haddock cost about $4.00. It was actually a little less but I can't remember the exact price. Each package comes with 4 (4 oz) fillets that are individually wrapped. I hope they taste as good as they look.

If you are looking for a healthy alternative to some of the other fatty meats fish is the way to go. It tastes so great and is very low in fat. At this price there is no reason not to buy it.

I think I am going to spray the Haddock with some spray butter, sprinkle with some bread crumbs and then bake. I will probably make my own tarter sauce (low fat mayo and relish). This is where I am going to have to be careful. I love tons of tarter sauce with my fish. Luckily the low fat mayo is very low in points.

I would love to cook the Salmon on the grill but I am so afraid it will stick or burn. I think I will probably look for a new recipe for the Salmon. Just to try something new. I can't wait!



What is your favorite type of fish or healthy fish recipe?







11 comments:

Mimi said...

I think I'm the only person I know who does't like salmon, but I love every other type of fish.

Bonnie said...

We love the salmon from walmart in our house. In fact, my husband grilled some last night for dinner. He puts foil on the grill so they don't stick (he has also used wood planks with the salmon when grilling).

Carly said...

Does beer battered fish count??? Oh wait, you said Healthy. Nope, not a fan of fish at all.

laurajane said...

I like the individually wrapped frozen fish. Aldi is another place that has pretty good, cheap frozen fish. I like to just sprinkle some chili seasoning and a few other spices on the salmon and cook it in the skillet for a few minutes.

jo said...

Oh, great! I'm going to go to Wal-mart and see if we have them. And I just showed hubby your post, and we had a good discussion on how to cook fish.

Aside from tuna, we just don't do fish! I need to branch out. Thank you for sharing!

Natasha said...

I really like the concept of your blog. I often complain that eating healthy is more expensive so I am so happy to have stumbled across your bargain shopping concept of healthy weight loss. Very inspiring.

I'm not a huge fish fan, but I'm trying to get into it. I love fish and chips and I found a Jane's brand battered fish that has 160 calories and 4 grams of fat per serving. It's a delicious alternative to regular fish and chips.

I am definitely going to look for your suggestion next time I go.

Pamela Kramer said...

oh man, I can't stand the smell of any seafood. I don't eat any of it. :(

Am I missing out? I just can't get past the smell.

Rachel said...

Yum, I love salmon! I like to bake it in a mix of soy sauce, ginger and a little brown sugar - it doesn't take long and I can put it in the oven and forget about it until it's done!

Jessica @ Pudget: Losing Weight On A Budget said...

Thank you all so much for sharing all of your great ideas.

Jessica

Just Another SAHM said...

If you have a George Foreman grill, try the salmon on that. It takes just a couple of minutes, literally, and comes out with that nice crisp grilled outside but tender & moist on the inside. I like to keep it simple & just brush a little mix of melted butter (or butter spray would work), lemon juice & chopped fresh dill on the grilled fish while it is still warm.

Superjaxster said...

We love tilapia or mahi mahi on the grill. And of course salmon is ALWAYS a winner. The mahi is really good if you marinate it in FF Italian dressing for an hour before you grill it.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin