Wednesday, March 11, 2009

To Join or Not To Join???

The past few weeks I have been thinking about joining a gym. I found one in my area that costs $25.00 a month and I have really been considering doing it. I really want to exercise more but it is so hard with two small children and the lack of room in my house for a elliptical or treadmill. I actually own a really nice treadmill but it is at my parents house because we just don't have room for it anymore.

I love the fact that this gym has child care. I probably wouldn't use it that often but if I wanted to I could go during the day and exercise. It costs $2.00 per child so I would be paying an extra $4.00 on top of my monthly fee but at least I have it as an option. I was thinking that I would probably go one morning a week before my husband goes to work (it would have to be really early), one night a week after my husband gets home and every Thursday when my daughter has her gymnastics class. That way I am only paying two dollars in child care that day for my other daughter.

I would really love to get a personal trainer for a few weeks just to teach me the machines and set up a routine for me. I'm not sure how much that would cost so I might not be able to afford it.

I would love to hear any advice you may have for me about getting a gym membership. My daughters gymnastics class starts tomorrow so if I sign up I will probably do it then. I'm just not sure what to do.


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I say go for it! I love the gym. It's my own space, where I can put headphones on and think about nothing but how strong I'm getting. Plus, you can go to classes (if offered), which are really fun, most include a toning segment, and you don't have to use the more intimidating equiptment.

TJ said...

Im just not a gym person. I feel like everyone is looking at me doing all of the stuff wrong when I go. lol Thats just me. We moved and canceled the membership at the place we used to go to and lets just say that your $25 dollar gym is a bargain! So maybe for that amount I wouldnt feel so guilty if I didnt go. lol I think its just a personal preference where you like to workout. I dont have much room in my place for my treadmill but here it is sticking out like an eyesore! uugghh!

Tina said...

Definitely a bargain and worth it for some "you" time!!

wildfluffysheep said...

Do it! Definitely. I used to be a gym hater but since I joined I have loved it. It clears out my head as well as boosting my weight loss :D I pay 2 pounds a session. I couldn't commit to a monthly thing though now I am totally considering it...

Achieving the Real Me said...

I say join! I just joined a gym (for $25 as well)and it has been so good for me. I am in a tight financial situation as well and I really had to work it into my budget. But it has totally been worth it!

A lot of times, gyms will show you how to use the machinery without having to pay for a personal trainer. Also, there are a lot of books that can help you set up a weight lifting routine. I would try that out first and see how it feels. Good luck!

Trish said...

It all depends on the person.For me a gym does not work.

I ahve a home gym and I just got a Wii and THAT is fun and let me tell you I really work up a sweat boxing with my kids. No sitter needed! :)

Lucrecia said...

It could be good for you, a chance to get out of the house and do somethings you would not otherwise. BUT, I'd think about going during the day. I've joined gyms several times and its very hard to stick to going early in the morning or late at night.

Pubsgal said...

I was in this quandary in December (and blogged about my trial membership). I don't know what all your gym includes, but $25 sounds pretty reasonable. (But then, I'm in California, where *everything* is expensive!) I felt *very* intimidated by the gym at first, but I like it now. Love the BodyPump class! And I figure if I even just go to one class a week, it's worth it. (One month membership at my gym is about $13 less/month than dance lessons for one of my kids, and their lessons are only once/week.)

As "Achieving the Real Me" said, check with the staff to see if they will show you how to use the machines. Usually they will without requiring a personal trainer.

Christy said...

I think you should try it out before you commit fully. If you can try it out for a month I would do that before taking a whole year membership. Personally, I LOVE the gym. And the prices offered to you are outstanding.

The gym is a great opportunity to vary your workouts. You can lift weight, do cardio, take some classes and meet some new people with similar weight loss interests.

I agree with some of the above comments...this is a great chance for you to have some time just for you...you deserve it!

Rachel said...

If you think you'll go, then it's worth it! I kind of waver.... I've enjoyed going in the past. But lately it seems I can always find an excuse, plus I hate going at the beginning of the year when all the New Year's Resolution-ers are there. You can't get a treadmill.

But really, if you can find the time - go. It'll really be a great way to change up your workout routine and help you shed even more weight!

Congrats on the weight loss and being in 100's!!! Woo-hoo!!

Jessica @ Pudget: Losing Weight On A Budget said...

Thanks for all of your help. Your comments were all so helpful. I am loving the gym and I am really glad I joined.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin