Saturday, March 28, 2009

Pork, White Bean & Kale Soup - Great Taste/ Low Cost

Last night I made another great soup for dinner. When I was searching for low-fat bean recipes a few weeks ago I found this one. It really didn't sound that appetizing but I had about a pound of leftover pork tenderloin that I had frozen and I figured I could use it in this recipe.

Boy am I glad I decided to give it a try. This is the best soup I have ever had. I'm serious. I loved it and so did my husband. I really didn't think it would taste that good but it was awesome. Definitely a keeper for me.

This is another one of those high fiber meals that is very inexpensive. I would only make it if I got pork tenderloin at a really good price. We all know how expensive pork tenderloin can be. Another thought that I had was that it would taste just as good made with chicken. This would be another alternative if you can't find pork tenderloin on sale. The best part is that they are both really lean meats.

The whole meal probably cost me about $6.00-$7.00. This is or 6 (1 2/3 cup) servings. Pretty big servings. I only ate 1 cup but a whole servings = 5 WW. I could have done it for less money if I would have used canned tomatoes instead of fresh and used chicken instead of pork. Next time I am definitely going to try it with the chicken. I also had a lot of he ingredients on hand such as the garlic and smoked paprika. I am so excited about finding a recipe that I really love and don't have to feel guilty about eating it.

Make sure you check back later. I will be talking about my latest food find!


Pork, White Bean & Kale Soup
From EatingWell Magazine September/October 2007

Kale is matched up here with white beans and chunks of lean pork tenderloin to create a soup that’s satisfying and quick to make. Smoked paprika gives the soup a Spanish flair so some warm bread and sliced Manchego cheese would go well on the side.

Makes 6 servings, about 1 2/3 cups each
ACTIVE TIME: 40 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 40 minutes
EASE OF PREPARATION: Easy

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 pound pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 medium onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons paprika, preferably smoked
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste (optional)
1 cup white wine (I don't drink so I didn't have any wine to use. I just added an extra cup of chicken broth. I'm sure it was cheaper this way.)
4 plum tomatoes, chopped (I'm sure you could use canned. It would probably cost less.)
4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth (I used fat free)
1 bunch kale, ribs removed, chopped (about 8 cups lightly packed)(Only $1.19 a pound at my grocery store. I only had to use a pound.)
1 15-ounce can white beans, rinsed (see Tip)
1. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add pork, sprinkle with salt and cook, stirring once or twice, until no longer pink on the outside, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate with tongs, leaving juices in the pot. (I used leftover pork tenderloin from a previous dinner)
2. Add onion to the pot and cook, stirring often, until just beginning to brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic, paprika and crushed red pepper (if using) and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add wine and tomatoes, increase heat to high and stir to scrape up any browned bits. Add broth and bring to a boil.
3. Add kale and stir just until it wilts. Reduce heat to maintain a lively simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the kale is just tender, about 4 minutes. Stir in beans, the reserved pork and any accumulated juices; simmer until the beans and pork are heated through, about 2 minutes.

(This nutritional info is for the original recipe. I don't have the info for the altered version.)
NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 262 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrate; 25 g protein; 7 g fiber; 627 mg sodium; 1,024 mg potassium.
Nutrition bonus: Vitamin A (290% daily value), Vitamin C (190% dv), Potassium (29% dv), Iron (20% dv).
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 lean meat
TIP: Tip: While we love the convenience of canned beans, they tend to be high in sodium. Give them a good rinse before adding to a recipe to rid them of some of their sodium (up to 35 percent) or opt for low-sodium or no-salt-added varieties. (Our recipes are analyzed with rinsed, regular canned beans.) Or, if you have the time, cook your own beans from scratch.


3 comments:

spunkysuzi said...

I'm definitely going to give this a try :)

wildfluffysheep said...

Soups are doing the rounds today! Must be something in the air!

AmyG said...

Sounds really good! Thanks for sharing!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin