Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Exciting New Find: Kale


I am so excited to be telling you about my new food find. It is called Kale. It doesn't sound very interesting but don't rule it out just yet. Did you know that Kale is a very good source of fiber, Optimizes Your Cells' Detoxification / Cleansing Ability, has Organosulfur Phytonutrients that Help Prevent Cancer including Ovarian Cancer and has Carotenoids that Lower Cataract Risk? These are just a few of the many benefits of Kale. To read about more benefits click here.

Another thing that excites me about Kale is that it only cost approximately $1.19 a pound and one pound of Kale is a lot of leafy greens.

So far I have only had Kale two ways. The first is in the Pork, white bean and Kale soup which was awesome. Click here for the recipe. The other way I tried Kale was raw. It sounds kind of gross but I put it in my morning smoothie. Yes, I made a Green Monster. If you have never heard of it before you should check out the Oh She Glows Site. This is where I got the idea for a Green Monster. Angela at Oh She Glows drinks these almost every morning. This is one of her recipes (the one that I tried).

Green Monster:

1-2 leaves of organic kale
1 cup Almond Breeze in unsweetened or Original
1 Tbsp flax
1 ripe banana
1/3 cup organic frozen blueberries
1 Tbsp Maranatha Raw Almond Butter


Click here to see the picture she posted. You are all probably wondering what I thought of the Green Monster. Well, it was kind of weird drinking a green drink. I think that was the hardest part for me. It took me a while to get past the fact that I was drinking green veggies. Other then that the taste was not bad. It was different but kind of good. I wouldn't say that it was my favorite thing to drink but I would definitely drink it again.

I love drinking something that is so healthy and I love that it boosts my energy level. Definitely a good choice before working out. The only changes that I would make next time are to only use 1/2 a banana and less kale leaves (I used 2 large ones). The only reason I would make these changes is because my Green Monster got thick very quickly. That part was gross. I also think I would add ice to make it more like a smoothie.

Actually, today I made my chocolate peanut butter smoothie and added flax meal and 1 leaf of kale to it. I could only taste a slight difference in flavor. It tasted great and was great for me.

I really am excited about finding Kale. My new goal is to search for low fat, inexpensive recipes that include Kale. It is so healthy, tastes great and is low in cost. It can't get much better then that.

I would love to hear about your experiences with Kale or if you have any great recipes for it.


6 comments:

Christy said...

Yum! I have a hard time finding kale at my grocery store so I use spinach. It is just as good. I never even notice the taste. I use frozen cherries, light vanilla soy milk, milled flax, 2 cups raw spinach, 1/2 banana in my smoothies. They are great! I have also tried cutting the calories by using 1/2 cup light soy milk and 1/2 cup water. It is just as good.

Lucrecia said...

I'm so impressed with you ladies who are able to get those green smoothies down. I love the color green, it's my favorite in fact, but I just don't think I could get past the color as I was drinking. My mind, I swear its my worst enemy!

Melisa said...

Wow, thanks for estatic post Jessica. I had wondered about trying the pork recipe because I had never had kale. Sounds to me like I need to try it.

Like Lucrecia, I love green, but not sure about a thick green drink. I have had green beer but for now I will stick to my fruit smoothies. ;)

Natalie said...

i add raw baby spinach leaves to all of our smoothies. my kids dont even notice that i added it.

oh and i love pb2...especially the chocolate pb2!

we like kale too. looking forward to your new recipes using it.

Marya said...

I have been looking for kale but can't find it. I also have been using spinach.

Patty said...

I just found you blog so I am a little late commenting here, but I love kale too! We like it so much we grow several vareites in our vegetable garden. And it is a easy plant to grow! One of my favorite ways to eat it is "Marinated Kale". There are lots of recipes for it on line but basically you mix lemon juice, soy or tamari sauce with olive oil and marinate the kale in the fridge over night with sundried tomatoes, garlic and red onions. then you can add carrots, pumkin seeds,avocado or whatever you like.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin