Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Check Out This Recipe

I have found another bean recipe. It is for White Chicken Chile. I have always wanted to try this but I hadn't ever attempted to make it. Since I am on my bean kick I decided to make it on Monday night.

It is another great low cost high fiber meal. I used two cans of Northern beans which cost maybe $3.00 total and approx. 3 pounds of chicken. I got the chicken on sale for $.99 a pound (bone in). I also used a container of chicken stock that I bought with a coupon for $1.50. The total cost was about $7.50. This made about 4 meals worth. I love that I can make a meal for less then $2.00 and really enjoy it.

I had my parents over for dinner last night and fed them leftovers (Pinto beans and ham with PAM fried potatoes and White Chicken Chile). My Dad's favorite was the White Chicken Chile and my Mom's favorite was the Pinto Beans and Ham. I can't believe that after eating these two bean meals several times we still have a ton left.

I think these bean recipes are really going to help me save some of my budget to take my girls places this summer. Very exciting!


Jessica's White Chicken Chili:

Ingredients:

2 pounds chicken (I boiled until cooked and then cut into bite size pieces.)
26 oz chicken stock
2(40 oz.) cans great northern beans, with liquid
2 large onion, chopped
4 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
1 tsp. chili powder
4 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoon ground oregano
You can garnish this chili with Weight Watchers 2% shredded Mexican cheese, fat free sour cream or tortilla
chips (optional)

Directions:
boil chicken until fully cooked. Cut in pieces. In a large pot, pour small amount of stock. Add onion and garlic and simmer until onion is wilted and hot. Add the broth and beans with liquid. Mix in the chili powder, cumin and oregano. Bring to a boil and add chicken pieces. Cover and simmer for at least 30 minutes.

Enjoy!!!


4 comments:

Bonnie said...

I am going to have to cook some beans this weekend and try these recipes. Thanks for sharing.

TJ said...

I love bean recipes. Did you see the recipe I posed, Spicy black bean soup. I made it again this week and left out the spicy part. lol Its really good.

:)tj

Jessica @ Pudget: Losing Weight On A Budget said...

TJ,
I did see it on your sight the other day. It is definitely one that I want to try. I love black beans and I love spicy. Can't wait!
Jessica

Mama Bear June said...

Hi again! For 15 bean soup, I just buy the package of dried beans at the store. They all come together in one bag. I don't put ham in the soup, though. I don't eat pork and the ham has a high sodium content. I usually make it vegetarian style.

I do have a recipe for chicken chili that's yummy, too. I haven't figured the cost yet.

1lb cubed boneless chicken
T chili powder
1 can Cr of Chicken soup
2c water
1 pouch Lipton's onion soup
2 cans white kidney beans (rinsed & drained)
sliced green onions (optional)
Add all to crock pot and cook on low all day. Or you can saute the chicken in T oil, bring water and soups to boil, then add everything else to simmer for 20 minutes.
20 minutes before serving, add 2 c shredded cheddar cheese and continue to cook.

Not the lowest fat recipe, but it is YUMMY!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin