Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Broccoli Cheddar Soup


Well tonight's dinner was definitely interesting and probably would have been excellent if I would have followed the directions.

I decided to make another bean recipe tonight to save a little money and make something healthy and filling for my family. I decided to make Broccoli Cheddar soup. You add cannelloni beans to it and puree to make a thick creamy soup. Unfortunately I added 1/2 a tablespoon of salt and 1/2 a tablespoon of pepper to the soup when the recipe actually called for 1/2 a teaspoon of each.

My husband and I ate it and it wasn't bad it was just really peppery. I can't believe I did that. I doubled the batch of soup so we had 12 cups of very peppery broccoli cheddar soup. So right now I am trying to figure out the cheapest way to fix the soup so that it doesn't all go to waste.

The soup cost me $7.50 for the 12 cups. This is a really great price because we can get several meals out of it. My only dilemma is do I spend another $7.50 and make another batch without salt and pepper and then mix the two batches together to even things out. $15.00 seems ridiculous for soup but I really hate to waste all that I made and I do think it will be great with less pepper and salt.

I guess I can freeze it into several containers and pull it out when I need it. I can consider it a start to my once a month cooking :). I think this amount of soup will probably last us at least two months. Do you think it will stay good that long?

If anyone has any other suggestions I would love to hear them. I'm just not sure what to do with this soup.

I will post the recipe below in case anyone is interested. Don't let my salt and pepper issues keep you from making it. It really has a great consistency and I think it will taste wonderful with less salt and pepper. Also it is so low in points it is crazy and the fiber from the beans were so filling. I ate one cup and I was stuffed.

Broccoli, Cannelloni Bean & Cheddar Soup

From EatingWell Magazine September/October 2007
White beans pureed into this broccoli soup make it extra creamy so you don’t need heaps of cheese to do the job. Serve with a crunchy whole-grain roll and a glass of winter ale.
Makes 6 servings, scant 1 cup each
ACTIVE TIME: 20 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 20 minutes
EASE OF PREPARATION: Easy

1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
1 cup water
1 pound broccoli crowns, trimmed and chopped (about 6 cups)
1 14-ounce can cannelloni beans, rinsed (see Tip)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
1 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese - (I used 2% cheese)

1. Bring broth and water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Add broccoli, cover and cook until tender, about 8 minutes. Stir in beans, salt and pepper and cook until the beans are heated through, about 1 minute.

2. Transfer half the mixture to a blender with half the cheese and puree. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.) Transfer to a bowl. Repeat with the remaining broccoli mixture and cheese. Serve warm.


TIP: Tip: While we love the convenience of canned beans, they tend to be high in sodium. Give them a good rinse before adding to a recipe to rid them of some of their sodium (up to 35 percent) or opt for low-sodium or no-salt-added varieties. (These recipes are analyzed with rinsed, regular canned beans.) Or, if you have the time, cook your own beans from scratch.


10 comments:

Ruby said...

hello
not sure about the peppery taste....but my mom always said if something is to salty to put a raw peeled potato in the pot while cooking to absorb the salt:) remember to take it out though if it's not cooked all the way when your ready to eat the stuff

Heidi said...

Mmmm that looks good. I love Broc/Cheese Soup and with the addition of beans that makes like my perfect meal.

Personally I would probably make another batch and freeze it. Though I love pepper so it probably wouldn't be too peppery for me as is.

Hmmm, I wonder how it would taste over pasta.... But I'm sure it would be awesome over baked potatoes.

Heidi said...

Also, do you have the nutritioninfo on this recipe?

Twix said...

I like broccoli & cheddar! My only suggestion would be to freeze what you have but divide it in half. Then unthaw and make some fresh with it, except with out salt and pepper. :)

Christy said...

Ah...Heidi and I have the same question today. Is this high in points or calories?

Jessica @ Pudget: Losing Weight On A Budget said...

Thanks for all of the advice. I think I am going to buy more ingredients, make another batch and freeze it.
Heidi and Christy I will post the nutrition info below. This is what he recipe had listed so it doesn't reflect the 2% cheese. I did figure out that with the 2% cheese it = 2 for every 1 cup. Enjoy!

Lucrecia said...

I love pepper so I doubt it would be an issue here - but I'd add pototoe or bake pototoes and and pour this over it for a twist.

Jessica @ Pudget: Losing Weight On A Budget said...

I bought the ingredients at my local grocery store today. It cost a little more because everything was cheaper at Walmart last week. It cost about $9.00 today for a double batch. So it cost me a total of $16.50 for 24 cups of soup.
I am definately going to try it on top of a baked potato. I bet it will taste great and very low in fat.

Thanks again everyone!

Pubsgal said...

Wow, this looks great. I love the idea of adding beans to the soup.

Pubsgal said...

(Reporting back in later...)
I made this soup yesterday, and it was great! My mistake: I bought the full stalk of broccoli and used the thick stem. I would still do this, but I would peel the thick outer part of the stem off, because it threw off the consistency a bit. The beans made a nutritious thickener.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin