Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Beans, Beans and More Beans

After writing my post last week on 10 Ways To Save Money While Losing Weight I decided to search for some inexpensive bean recipes. When I went to Wal-mart last week I picked up two bags of dried Pinto Beans that cost about $.88 a piece.

I decided to make Pinto Beans and Ham. When I got home I went through several recipes I found online and came up with my own. On Friday I let my daughter sort through all of the Pinto Beans checking for rocks or anything that shouldn't be in the bag. She loved helping Mommy. I let the beans soak over night and on Saturday morning I mixed every thing together, cooked it a little and then put it in the crock pot to cook on low all day. It turned out wonderful and only cost about $5.00 for an entire crock pot full. You really can't beat the price. We have eaten it for several meals so far and will probably finish it off tonight when I have my family over for dinner. I think tonight I am going to fry some sliced potatoes in PAM to serve with it. I also heard it is good served with rice.

I have decided that I am going to make a bean meal at least once a week because it is so inexpensive, filling and healthy. I think it is really going to help me stay on budget by incorporating bean recipes into our weekly menus.

Jessica's Pinto Beans and Ham:

2lbs of dried Pinto Beans
6 Cups of Water
2 Large Onions chopped
12 oz of ham cut into bite sized pieces
3 cloves of garlic minced
½ cup of green pepper chopped
2 TBSP of Chili Powder
2 tsp salt
2 tsp pepper
1 tsp cumin
½ tsp dried oregano

Directions:
Soak beans overnight. In morning drain beans and place in large pot with 6 cups of water and bring to a boil. Add all other ingredients and simmer for 20 minutes. Pour into crock-pot and cook on low all day or high for a few hours. Serve by itself or with rice or fried potatoes.


9 comments:

Mama Bear June said...

Fried potatoes? How about roasted potatoes? ;-) I'm a black bean lover myself. I like 15 bean chili, too. And with snow on the ground and 20 degrees outside, it's a great day for those kinds of meals!!!! :-) You are doing an awesome job!

Bonnie said...

Sounds yummy. I love beans and potatoes, but never thought about frying them up in PAM. I'll have to give it a try.

Bonnie
Fellow HYC member

wildfluffysheep said...

This sounds really yummy and something that I can actually make! Plus I'm a student so I need to save every penny I get.

whats a crock pot? :D I'm not much of a cook...

Anonymous said...

I have never cooked beans from a bag. How awful (lazy) of me! This recipe looks very yummy and I'm going to copy it and put it in my to-try section. Thank you for sharing it!

Jo
http://282point5.blogspot.com/

p.s. I always have a difficult time getting comments to post here for some reason!

Crystal said...

I LOVE pinto beans. I think cooking the raw ones taste so much better. Great recipe!

Anonymous said...

You are a real inspiration. I love seeing the BMI ticker--what a better way to evaluate than the lbs lost--somehow its so much less threatening. I really enjoy your frank discussions about the ups as well as the downs of weight loss. Thanks for the low cost recipe I can't wait to try it and come home from work to a warm, tasty supper. Pat

Jessica @ Pudget: Losing Weight On A Budget said...

I made the fried potatoes with the PAM tonight and they turned out great. I sliced my potatoes really thin, placed them in boiling water for a few minutes and then drained and fried with PAM and onion until crispy. They tasted wonderful with the Pinto Beans and Ham. I'm sure I will be making this again.

MackAttack said...

There are a ton of great recipes with beans! This looks like one we may have to add to the rotation! Thanks!

meandww said...

sounds yummy! Always looking for new recipes!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin