Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Pain After Exercising

This may sound really silly but I kind of enjoy the pain I feel the day after I had a good workout. I know some people really dread the soreness they feel a day or so after exercising but I get really excited when I feel that soreness. It reminds me of the hard work that I did the day before and it really make me feel like what I am doing is working.
Lately, since I have been doing the Jillian Micheal's 30 Day Shred regularly, I have been thinking about whether the pain I am feeling is really a good thing. To me it feels like I am really toning my muscles but I have been wondering if I am really doing damage to my body. So I decided to do a little research to put my mind at ease.
What I found out is that the pain we feel a day or so after exercising is actually called Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness which is very different then the pain you feel from a sudden injury. Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness is a common response your body has to a new or more strenuous exercise regimen. Adding new activities to your exercise program that your body is not used to can cause this type of pain to show up within the next day or two after your workout.
So the pain I am feeling is completely normal and just a response to me pushing my body a little harder each day. Yeah!!! I was excited to learn that I can continue to feel happy about feeling sore after exercising because it does mean that I am really getting something out of the time I spend working out.
And for all of you that think I am crazy about enjoying the pain, I have a few tips on how to prevent your body from feeling as much pain after exercising.
1. Warm up before jumping into exercising.
2. Cool down after exercising.
3. Start gradually when adding a new exercise and slowly work your way up in intensity.
4. Avoid sudden changes in the amount of reps or amount of time you exercise.

If the soreness you feel does not go away in a week or so you should consult a doctor because this may be a sign of a serious injury.


7 comments:

TJ said...

Good post. I also heard that if you are sore the next day the worst thing you can do is just rest. Try to stretch, move those muscles so they can loosen up.
You enjoying that feeling means that your a sick puppy! lol I kid, I kid! :) Your right Jessica, it is a good feeling knowing that your actually burning calories and getting fit! :)

:)tj

Lucrecia said...

I'm with you 110%. Its also a good and constant reminder to eat right, no use going through all that pain only to ruin it with bad food!

Tina said...

I love the post-workout pain too. My trainer used to make me take an epsom salts bath after all of my workouts. Maybe I'll do that again when I can fit more comfortably in the tub!

Sherre said...

I, too, like delayed onset muscle soreness (and now I have an "official" name for it). :)

Gigi said...

Hurts so good. I like feeling the long forgotten muscles doing what they're supposed to be doing all these years.

Karen said...

I'm always sore after working out with my personal trainer, he always really helps me mix things up.

I kind of agree I like the soreness, it makes me feel like I worked hard! But I still like to complain about it, lol =)

MackAttack said...

I also love the pain the next day (as I get older it's 2 days later!) It feels like muscles that I haven't used are waking up!

I actually just ordered the 30 day shred, and I'm excited to try it and get some muscles. Thanks for the review!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin