Monday, January 5, 2009

Losing Weight On A Budget

Day 1 Of My Journey:



Hi! My name is Jessica. I am a SAHM trying to live a healthier life style on a budget. I have a wonderful husband that I have been married to for almost seven years and two beautiful daughters ages 4 and 8 months. In order for me to stay home with our daughters we live our lives on a very tight budget.

Yes. This is me in the picture. I know I am pretty brave to post this picture but I think it will help all of us to see updates through out my journey. I encourage you to also keep a picture book of yourself though out your weight loss journey. I have found this very helpful in the past.



I have struggled with my weight for as long as I can remember. I was not over weight as a young child but during my teenage years I definitely had a struggle. It is kind of funny because I look back at pictures of myself as a senior in High School and remember thinking how fat I was ( I really wasn't fat but compared to my skinny little Friends I guess I felt fat.).



Anyway, after the birth of my first daughter I decided that I didn't want to be an overweight mother. I wanted to live a healthy lifestyle so I could do all of the fun things that I wanted to with my daughter. This is when I joined Weight Watchers. I was able to lose approximately 40 pounds in less then a year. It was so exhilarating to lose that much weight. At that point I think I weighed about 155 pounds. Not my goal weight but I still felt wonderful. I felt like a new person inside and out. I stayed that weight for about two years.


Then I went back to work. I was working a stressful job and with long hours and trying to properly take care of my family. That is when my weight soared above 200 pounds. Then I got pregnant with my second daughter who was born 8 months ago. After she was born I weighed 206 pounds. I tried to diet off and on for the next 7 months but it didn't work. The sleepless nights didn't help :)



This brings me to last Thursday, January 1, 2009. The day I decided that I need to make some changes in the way I eat. I don't feel healthy or happy at my current weight which by the way is 216 pounds.

I joined Weight Watchers online on Jan. 1st because I have had success with this program before. It is a wonderful program that I can't say enough good about. It teaches you how to eat healthy without feeling deprived. I'm not saying that it isn't hard. It is hard for me not to snack all day. On Weight Watchers you may have cravings but if you do it properly you don't feel hungry.

The hardest part of this journey for me will be eating healthy and losing weight on a budget. With the price of food today it is hard to buy healthy food for the whole family on a small budget.


Through out my journey I will share with you my successes, failures, healthy living tips and recipes.




Today is where my journey begins! I am so excited to start living a healthier lifestyle on a budget and sharing it with all of you!


9 comments:

Nancy said...

Oooh! I'm hooked :) Can't wait to read more...

Thanks for de-lurking on my blog today! :)

Omah's Helping Hands said...

Thanks for sharing Jessica. I have been in the same boat as you. It's been an never ending battle with weight. I've been through similar experiences as well. It is actually helpful to hear from someone experiencing the same things. Maybe I'll join the group and go for the gusto!

Jessica said...

Omah,
Thanks so much for visiting my site. I too am a Born Again Christian and was very impressed with your site. I look forward to following it. I really hope you decide to join the group. I think it is going to be a great journey and it is alway better to do it with others.

Omah's Helping Hands said...

Thank you Jessica. I agree, it is better to join a group. I'm going to do it. I just have to figure out why I'm having trouble linking up. I'll try again tomorrow morning. It may be that I just need to reboot. We have a lot in common. This is exciting! Thanks for your encouraging words.

fatty McButter Pants said...

Jessica,
I am new to this blogging thing and saw that you are kind of a beginner also. I am hoping to get some blogger buddies. To tell the truth I don't even know if you would be able to respond to this, but it would be nice to hear from you. I like you blog, it's simple and honest. Just what I am looking for.

operationmuffintop said...

Loved reading about you! We seem to have a bit in common! I'm also a SAHM trying to stay on a budget, we have 4 kids, so have to watch our pennies! And you're so right about the price of food, it's brutal!! I'm going to add you to my blogroll and will follow along your journey! :)

Green Acres in the City said...

Thank you! I started WW again 3 weeks ago and have so far to go! You are an inspiration! Thank you!

Ana said...

Great site! You have so much good information. I will be back for more...

Pamela said...

I was so happy to find your blog! I have been with Weight Watchers online for nine weeks now and have lost 19.5 pounds. I still have quite a way to go but I know that slow and easy is the best, and healthiest, way to do it. Please look me up on WW online - I'm user PGHPGC and I would love to be friends.

I'm working my way through your blog - you're so right to say to keep a picture journal to track your progress. Your journey is such an inspiration to me - all the more so because you're doing it on a budget! With the price of fresh fruits and vegetables, lean meats and whole grain products, it is truly a struggle but like weight loss, it CAN be done!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin