Monday, January 26, 2009

Buying Healthy Food On A Budget: Part 2 Looking For Store Deals

I love finding great deals at the grocery store. It is like a game to me. In case you can't tell I love a challenge. Today I was a the grocery store. I ran out of Pirate's Booty and I wanted to pick up some salad mix. I have not been eating veggies like I should just because they can be so expensive so decided I would get some while they are 2 for $5.00. Not a great price but less expensive then the regular price. When I got to the store I found a large package of Spring Mix with 3 $1.00 coupons on it. I got 1 lb of organic spring mix for $3.00 and it is beautiful. It looks so good I think it will probabley last me 5-7 days before it spoils. What a buy!

I always recommend going to the grocery store during the day on a week day. This is when I seem to find the most discounted items. I often find great buys on Laura's Lean hamburger. When it gets close to expiring they mark it down to about half the price for quick sale. I just bring it home, repackage it and stick it in the freezer. I love it when I find this type of deal. Last time I found the hamburger on special I bought 7 or 8 packages. I bought all that they had. Another great buy I found was whole Turkeys and Turkey Breasts at $1.29 a pound. I didn't buy one because I didn't have enough money left in my budget but if you can afford it I would suggest checking your local grocery stores for great mark downs. This is the time of year that most grocery stores mark down their turkeys because the holidays are over. I hope they still have some left next week.

If you have the time to look you can ussually find something you need at a great price. Items that expire are always marked down for quick sale a day or so before the experation date. You just have to be at the store at the right time and know where to look.


2 comments:

Saved Sinner said...

It's worth finding out when different vegetables are in season in your area as they will usually be at their lowest price when they are in season locally.

You may be overweight but you still look very pretty in your "Day 1" photo.

Blessings in Christ,

Susan. :o)

Jessica @ Pudget: Losing Weight On A Budget said...

Thank you so much for the sweet comment. It made my day. You are so right about buying veggies in season. I will have to put this in my next post. Thank so much for the advice. It always helps to hear ideas from other people.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin